My New Steelphase 01

Love the idea of wireless incorporated but there isn't that much room. Plus then the case couldn't be completely aluminium unless there was an external antenna. There are ways around the antenna issue using different cables but then there is the issue of non standard cables. 

On the GPX I use the Quest WireFree Mate system which is so small its not really noticeable. The only other thing I use is a slimline battery that is yet to be released........🙄

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MannyScoot said:

The SP01 is definitely not a WM12...... Way different it actually assist with signals by choosing filters that change a frequency and sound ........ It's a cool little box.....

No i ment 200 for each makes 400.  So 400 for a single unit is a wash

3 hours ago, SteelPhase said:

Love the idea of wireless incorporated but there isn't that much room. Plus then the case couldn't be completely aluminium unless there was an external antenna. There are ways around the antenna issue using different cables but then there is the issue of non standard cables. 

On the GPX I use the Quest WireFree Mate system which is so small its not really noticeable. The only other thing I use is a slimline battery that is yet to be released........🙄

Glad you love the idea!  Please please please try to make it happen.  WM12/SP01 all one unit Hell yeah!  (And able to switch frequencies to work with the Pro-Sonic too) 🤣🤣

I have the Steelphase SP01 for my GPZ 7000. I love it... It sure quiets up the sounds from the detector, and only allows targets to get through, faint targets were passed through and amplified with no problem...

Dave

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, phrunt said:

Do you run the detector volume low and crank the SP01 right up? that seems to work best for me.

Phrunt,

If I remember I run detector volume about 8...

Dave

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

Do you run the detector volume low and crank the SP01 right up? that seems to work best for me.

I keep it at 8 in HY/normal and tweak it up to 10 in HY/difficult (see JP's comments). I absolutely love the SP01 on my SDC and just clip it on the side, no wireless (as it adds to the EMI on the SDC in my experience). But I agree with the GPZ, it gets cumbersome with all the cables. I also wonder if the SP01 would add anything to the EMI when I run it hot (HY/Normal/gain>10). I am not an electronic expert, but with the GPZ at HY/normal I worry about anything interfering since the machine is so super sensitive at that setting.

Wait, so the plastic housing on the gpz isn't doing much to hold down EMI…
interesting. What kinds of advice did he relate (if you don't mind my asking).
I am into anything that will hold back EMI.

The GPZ will have various shields within the plastic housing whether it be layers of aluminium foil or a carbon coating/paper. I havent opened one to have a look. They will be using the plastic housing because its cheap to manufacture and lighter in weight than a metal enclosure.

Even the GPX which is a metal case has additional shielding inside.

5 hours ago, flakmagnet said:

Wait, so the plastic housing on the gpz isn't doing much to hold down EMI…
interesting. What kinds of advice did he relate (if you don't mind my asking).
I am into anything that will hold back EMI.

The GPZ is pretty immune to EMI from a circuit design POV, however the plastic housings will allow a certain amount of EMI in if the boards are not shielded well, you can see this with a GPZ using a mobile phone, just run the phone past the housing along the sides especially when the phones transmitter is ramping up due to low signal, the SDC is also bad for this. However this is from a localised concentrated source and why you should keep your mobile phone away from the control box (some Bluetooth transmitters will do this as well).

Most EMI that affects detectors gets in through the coil which is a far more sensitive to the weaker long distant EMI such as 50/60 Hz and Sferics type EMI, the control box is not really affected by this unless your extremely close and then the coil noise will swamp the control box noise anyway.

If you think the GPZ control box is allowing EMI in then maybe line your cover with foil but be aware too much might be seen by the coil and kill depth, one of the reasons why I’m not a fan of aluminium enclosures especially ones mounted separately from the control box.

JP

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jonathan Porter said:

If you think the GPZ control box is allowing EMI in then maybe line your cover with foil...

It's a fact that you hear electrical interference, EMI, with your ears. Your ears are on your head, so the EMI is probably coming though your head into your ears. So the only solution is to put the foil where it will really help. :smile:

Tin Foil Hat photos, royalty-free images, graphics, vectors ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 4