Did My Own Gpz Adapter П

So I couldn't resist having a crack at my own adapter soon as my x-coil turned up today. IMG_20200205_183413.thumb.jpg.0588747069dfcfe8c44bc43b9a876e84.jpgIMG_20200205_183417.thumb.jpg.64d53cbdc2f6df69fb96077a81c9e146.jpg

I was pooping my undies on the enitial turn on but all in all wasn't to bad to do it you take your time I started with number 3 blue wire at bottom first as hardest to get to to solder then worked my way up to 2 and 1 the 4 and 5 spent a good 20 mins thoroughly checking for any shorts or anything when I was happy I hot glued all wires and invetween stopping them from being able to move or that in future then heat shrink followed by lots isolation tape I then put the female plug back on the std 14 and works like charm  I also waterproofed the xcoil by adding marine silicone in and around the plug and a thin layer along the joining lip were skid plate goesIMG_20200205_194949.thumb.jpg.9d7b0e9e28d7d27f6a917f167b425f26.jpg

all and all thought for a first attempt wasn't to bad and I didn't make it go boom so that a bonus 

• Like 7

20 hours ago, nugget hunter nz said:

So I couldn't resist having a crack at my own adapter soon as my x-coil turned up today. IMG_20200205_183413.thumb.jpg.0588747069dfcfe8c44bc43b9a876e84.jpgIMG_20200205_183417.thumb.jpg.64d53cbdc2f6df69fb96077a81c9e146.jpg

I was pooping my undies on the enitial turn on but all in all wasn't to bad to do it you take your time I started with number 3 blue wire at bottom first as hardest to get to to solder then worked my way up to 2 and 1 the 4 and 5 spent a good 20 mins thoroughly checking for any shorts or anything when I was happy I hot glued all wires and invetween stopping them from being able to move or that in future then heat shrink followed by lots isolation tape I then put the female plug back on the std 14 and works like charm  I also waterproofed the xcoil by adding marine silicone in and around the plug and a thin layer along the joining lip were skid plate goesIMG_20200205_194949.thumb.jpg.9d7b0e9e28d7d27f6a917f167b425f26.jpg

all and all thought for a first attempt wasn't to bad and I didn't make it go boom so that a bonus 

With the fine look of your work might we have our North American adaptor solution?  Seems like it wouldn’t be difficult for someone who can solder making a simple test socket for plug shorts or crossed wire if doing enough of them if that’s the only risk? In the long run easier on the shorts😀🩳🤭.

solder... I had one of those moments typing this spelling the word solder just didn’t look right to my dyslexic eye... went back and reread the initial post to double check my doubt and you managed to tell the whole story without ever writing solder, god I love spell check, Wikipedia and thank you Rob for the tips.

second thought risk is in the chip too I guess, oh well we can dream.

The only problem i see down the track is that there is enough strength between the chip and the gpx plug.

Every time the gpz shaft is extended its going to be putting pressure in the adapter.

As someone else here mentioned, continual stretching may cause the adapter to break a wire, causing a short.

I was pretty happy to see that Pat who made mine has used a good quality (and thick) heat wrap that covers the chip and the gpx plug. The heat rap used on mine looks like it will take a lot of the stress as the shaft is extended

The heat wrap also seems to have shrunk slightly into the grooves of the chip/plug which should also help it slipping off.

Looking at your adapter, the grooves on the chip seem very prominent which to me looks like its a very thin heat wrap or only electrical tape over the plug. I don't think id be relying on electrical tape to give the adapter the strength between the chip and gpx plug that is probably needed

Just my two bobs worth.