Goldmaster 24K Target ID Question

LarryD

Steve, question for you, as I have not had the opportunity to use either the 24K or the new Monster and you have how would you say they compare to each other in terms of small nug  and depth capability  responses on similiar sized nugs   ?????????  
Inquiring minds want to know .

The two detectors are neck and neck for gold finding capability. The 48 kHz White’s 24K at $729 is lower price out of pocket, but the 45 kHz Gold Monster at $849 comes with two coils and a rechargeable battery pack.

If tuned as hot as possible but for stable operation the machines have almost identical performance. It is possible to overdrive the Gold Monster sensitivity to get a slight edge over the 24K, but it comes at the price of the coils becoming unstable and knock sensitive.

I like both machines a lot and when I weeded out my collection they both stayed longer than most as I had a hard time deciding which I liked best. After a year of using both I finally sold the Gold Monster and kept the 24K. Why?

Ergonomics had a lot to do with it. The 24K comes with an adjustable length rod, the GM a three piece screw together rod. Yeah, you can replace it, but why should you have to? The 24K “S” rod is counterbalanced by the battery pack under the arm, and is more comfortable than the nose heavy GM. The round handle on the 24K fits my hand better than the squared off GM handle. Finally, the 24K stays put when set on the ground and does not roll over like the top heavy GM. Each of these is a small thing in practice but all together add up to a solid ergonomic win for the 24K.

The biggie for me however is enhanced options and control. I won’t make a list, suffice it to say the GM was designed for simplicity and as few controls as possible. The 24K on the other hand has a full suite of tuning options including full target id capability, which the GM lacks. I’m a control freak and more than anything else that’s what tipped it for me. The 24K is more versatile.

Finally, coils. The GM you have the 5” round DD and 6” x 10” DD. The 24K has the 6.5” round concentric, 6” x 10” DD, 4” x 6” DD, and very soon 8” x 14” DD.

To sum up I look at the machines as being a push when it comes to gold finding capability. Give me either and I will do fine and be happy. I recommend the GM for somebody who is control adverse and won’t read manuals. It’s as near automatic as you can get, just don’t overdrive the sensitivity. The 24K offers more versatility for those who thrive on that sort of thing, and along with the ergonomics out of box and extra coil options now I believe White’s has produced an excellent offering in the 24K. In my case at least it’s the one that stayed when the others went away.

White’s Goldmaster 24K Data & Reviews

whites-goldmaster-24k-metal-detector-photo-large.jpg

• Like 5

As much as I love the Gold Monster, the 24K audio in both all metal VCO and discrimination two tone modes, the XGB ground balance options, the iron cancel options, the threshold tone options (a really big one for me!) and the "to die for"  digital backlit display along with that super hot 6.5" coil make it a better choice for me. 

• Like 6

8 hours ago, Mike C... said:

Hi Steve is the small elliptical dd coil available yet? Thanks Mike C...

As a separate item? I don’t know. No mention of it on White’s website. Obviously they are making them since they come with the GMX so maybe all it takes is a phone call to the factory. Which I have not done. :smile:

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2020 at 6:27 AM, LarryD said:

I recently purchased the Goldmaster 24k. In preparation for my first outing I made a test bed of different materials in my back yard. I also printed of the Conductive Order of Metals which was set up based on the Whites Spectrum XLT.

So my test bed consisted of a nail, pulltab, penny, nickle, dime, quarter, gold ring. After setting up my detector based on Whites quick start guide I did my testing. Here are the visual target id results. I wanted to compare them to the Conductive Order of Metals

GMT 24k reading.                        nail 39   pulltab 91  penny 95  nickle 89  dime 97. quarter 98  gold wedding ring 94

Conductive Order of Metals       nail 0     pulltab 35  penny 56   nickle 28  dime 70  quarter 82  gold wedding ring 40

As you can not even close. So am I wrong in thinking the GMT 24k should follow the Conductive Order of Metals listing? Is there some other listing I should be looking at or is there no corelation at all? Thanks for any help.

I have had the 24k basickly since release the simple way to look at the I'd is not like a conventional I'd like say a nox it's more of a digital iron probability bar. Like the old gmt has the actual bar so irons will be lower numbers gold silver alloy will read high numbers.. Unpure metals with give inconsistent I'd  small small gold comes in around 50 to 60 but if in the ground may jump around but it its hitting anything above 50 I dig, tho I normaly dig everything as I have found gold that read low because it was so covers in. Black sand or iron type material. As a coil relic machine you would probley have to test your targeted things like coins etc to get your own I'd readings 

Craig, I would assume you were addressing Simon. Very kind ofyou. Simon, this is your big chance brother! Remember this is the very machine that Craig is offering to loan you  is the one  that  he used to find that 6 + ounce nugget in New Zealand. Don't block your ears this time! HH Jim.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

nah, I just can't do it, if I used it I'd end up wanting it.  Comes a time in every ones life when enough is enough 🙂

So your wife's reading the forum now?  'Cause none of the rest of us are buying that, and come to think of it, I doubt she will, either.