Another Day In The Sierras

klunker

19 hours ago, Sourdough Scott said:

A big kitty is roaming the area we detected.

For that all you need is a bowl of milk and a liter box. Then try to put a flea collar on it.

I find that for snakes and big cats carry some moth balls as both of those critters hate it.

• Haha 1

Klunker,  You had me sucked in.  I'm in awe of your above average arithmetic.  Then I realized you made 1 mistake.  In 1857, the branch of the tree (the one holding the rifle) would have been 6.3" lower than it now sits today.  I was about to call "BS" on your find.  Being that I did not want to spoil your story, I decided to sit and wait 24 hours before blasting it up.

It was then.. the old dimmer of light in me grape flickered a bit.  I reached for the bottle one more time and dusted off the last of the juice.  That is when it hit me, as if when it will hit Sourdough as he pulls the trigger of that Elephant gun.

By golly, F me, I was dead wrong in my initial decipher of the events and so now I want to apologize.  My mistake of the branch being 6.3" lower in 1857, is in fact correct, but what I did not realize.... the average height of an adult male 160+ yrs ago was exactly 6.3" shorter than present.

Hell of two finds my friend and even better story.  I'll forever absorb every word you post on DP as FACT.

PS.  Did you try to locate the casing?  Maybe another adventure awaits and I can't wait to hear about it.  After all, you have photos as proof and a witness.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jim_Alaska said:

I think the moths might object. 

Not really, but they do have a really big grin on their face!

23 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

I was about to call "BS"

Why Mr. Gerry! I would like you to know that in all of my years of participation on this esteemed forum I have only composed one post that wasn't 100% true.

On 2/10/2020 at 12:19 AM, 2Valen said:

I find that for snakes and big cats carry some moth balls as both of those critters hate it.

Mr. 2Valen. See what you have done. You should have said "paradichlorobenzene" instead of "moth balls". Now you have unleashed the latent degenerate side of what are normally well behaved prospectors. Expect Mr. Herschbachs discipline to be loving yet severe.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

6 hours ago, klunker said:

You should have said "paradichlorobenzene" instead of "moth balls".

I did not know the scientific name for it and I am over 60 so that is what it is called.

However I have found that it does work because cats, snakes, and other critters hate the smell of it.

That was a little trick my grandmother taught me years ago.

Sorry Steve H.

• Like 1