Parrafin Oil????

I have a question pertaining to restoration of iron artifacts. Has anyone used Parrafin Oil at all to say coat an axe head or similar article in rather than using using the hot dip Parrafin Wax method? I have some relics whereby they are delaminating, and wondered if perhaps after wire brushing, spraying with wd40 that I could use Parrafin Oil? TIA for your answers.

With my collection of vintage mining picks I have used gun blue to get an attractive finish followed by a wiping of linseed oil applied with a soft cloth. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Reg Wilson said:

I have used gun blue to get an attractive finish followed by a wiping of linseed oil applied with a soft cloth. 

That has been the way I was taught years ago and it works every time.

Thanks to you both for your reply. I was hoping someone had used Parrafin oil and their results. Yes I had heard of linseed oil, the gun blue I have never used, but it certainly gives an alternative if need be.🙂

On 2/7/2020 at 11:09 PM, Coilpower said:

I have some relics whereby they are delaminating, and wondered if perhaps after wire brushing, spraying with wd40 that I could use Parrafin Oil?

I've used this for preventing tools from rusting.  I assume the product you're talking about is similar.  If that's the case I would skip the WD40 step altogether.