First Gold With The Gpz (and Drowned My Xcoil)

So took the gpz out for couple days were I hunt managed to find out that my extra waterproofing didn't work after 20 mins of first day with xcoil so was back to std 14 on day to all and all we had good trip pulled 5 grams for 2 days and 3 nice bits including this one 

It was all creek hunting and was defanitly impressed the the zeds depth 

IMG_20200208_200437.thumb.jpg.92ace934d59d5dacd2e72775d109a156.jpg

Just hoping with few days sun in a bag rice the xcoil will work normaly again.. Guess I will have to wait for nf coils to be realesed for water ones as the std 14 took on water to even tho they ment to be submersible to 1 mtr 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nugget hunter nz said:

std 14 took on water to even tho they ment to be submersible to 1 mtr 

Wow really? Good to know. Anybody knows why this happened? 

6 hours ago, nugget hunter nz said:

Just hoping with few days sun in a bag rice the xcoil will work normaly again..

I found that some electronics will dry out better using instant oats instead of rice.

I purchase a large container of them just for that reason, and after they dry out what they are on I will allow them to dry in the oven for an hour for reuse.

Hope this helps.

• Like 2

I won't even put my SDC under water. It's like one of those Samsung phones some years back that were advertised to be the first ones to be water proof. Well, on day 2 I took the phone in the pool only to never be usable again.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Something to consider with regards to water proofing, cutting the coil lead and adding a new connector might then allow moisture to ingress the coil via the lead (especially the leads cut before the curls), the GPZ14 coil is over moulded both ends as part of the waterproofing of the assembly, dependant on where the cut was made could be the reason for the OP’s fail.

JP

• Like 1

A friend has used the spray on truck bed liner on his coils and has never had a problem.

That stuff is tough and if put on properly it will never give a problem again.

Hope that helps after your unit dries out.

On 2/9/2020 at 3:38 PM, kiwijw said:

Yes....they are not waterproof.:rolleyes:  I did make mention of this as a warning to nugget hunter nz (Craig) on his post on making his own adapter for the X coil/Zed. I repeat it here.  "On a personal note....I will never be putting my Zed coils in water, but the areas where I mostly detect there is no water up in the hills any way. I even hate using my detector out in the rain, of which the other day out with Simon it was raining most of the time. I shouldn't have gone. I wouldn't have normally but knew that Simon was eager to try his "new" set up. After a few hours & 4 bits of recovered gold & two lost ones I had had enough & called it quits as I reckoned the detector was starting to act a bit weird. I didn't know at the time that Simon had text me to say his back was giving him grief & he had had enough to. I didn't take my phone with me but must have timed it right when I caught up with him. I put it down to the coil getting drowned as I have a good cover on the actual detector control box & the handle pod. I honestly don't know how the coil can be waterproof with that pressure vent valve.  The guy I got my Zed off is from the West (wet) Coast & he killed his ML 14" coil detecting in West Coast creeks. It was warranted as being waterproof so Minelab replaced it under warranty. The West Coast & its weather is not very detector friendly. I am not prepared to risk it. My thoughts always were that the ML or any 14" size coil of that type construction & design ( foam filled) is a beast of a coil to try to subject to using underwater with fighting the buoyancy & water flow." End of quote.

But what would I know?? Hopefully Craigs coils will dry out with no ill effects. He now knows not to put them in water. Learnt the hard way. Warning for others so thanks Craig for bringing it to peoples attention.👍

Good luck out there

JW 🤠

Yip defanitly my fault not any of the coils i know the new nugget finder coils are waterproof and they are releasing a small coil mid year with more to follow. 

I guess if I hold out for those and try it if that doesn't work then guess I'll have to sell the zed go back to gpx modded with the nf coils I never had any issue with those and water the zed is amazing just wish it was more water friendly 😂

So does the coil simply stop work with water ingress?  I have had mine in water a few times, probably around 20 cm, no obvious problem from water.  I do have the issue falsing when knocked but expect this is not water related.  Out of warranty unfortunately.

20 hours ago, Winterwood said:

So does the coil simply stop work with water ingress?  I have had mine in water a few times, probably around 20 cm, no obvious problem from water.  I do have the issue falsing when knocked but expect this is not water related.  Out of warranty unfortunately.

No no didn't stop working just started going crazy like sevear EMI with target like overload spikes if you held the coil still and flat it would sort of settle down but any change or angle or coil movement sent it nuts... I did dtill find gold with both after taking on water but was only booming obvious signals 

• Sad 1