SnowProspector

AT Gold Screaming 80 On Pyrite Or Metal?

I came across some rustbrown colored mica schist and decided to scan it with my Garret At gold with a double D coil. I'm im all metal mode, ground balanced and the detector starts to give me a lot of targets with 60-80 on the scale(thick gold/precious metal). Iron is below 30-50.

I hammered out the rock that was giving me the high reading and it turns ut there is thick layers of some dissiminated metallic (?) layer in the schist. Is have had a closer look and it does not look like pyrite because it is quite dark gray, but still has the metallic shine. It is brittle, so not sure if it is metall or sulfide. 

I heard several people say that sulfides do not give a reading on a metal detector. To confirm that i have testes a  big chalcopyrite that gives absolutley no noise on the detector. I also have a 14 lb chunk of stibnite that also gives no sound at all. 

Then this wierd rock gives a strong 80 gold/Silver Reading. 

Have anyone had sulfides make a strong reading? 

I added pictures of the metal/sulfide that i hammere out. What do you think? 

IMG_20200208_223802.jpg

IMG_20200208_224132.jpg

Too out of focus but at a guess I'd say arsenopyrite, a sulphide, and highly conductive. Second guess graphite. If it will easily mark up paper go with graphite.

Whether some magnetic minerals sound off or not depends on the ground balance setting. Others that are conductive, like arsenopyrite, will pretty much beep no matter what.

I have found many pounds of arsenopyrite while metal detecting so toss the sulphides are undetectable theory. It just depends on the sulphide.

• Like 5

Without a better focused image, it's hard to tell.  From what I see, it appears black.  The arsenopyrite that I am familiar with is usually a lighter grey color, but wikipedia shows some black specimens.  It could be a tellurium gold mineral called Calaverite.  If so, it's dangerous.  Heating it will emit poisonous fumes.

482460966_ScreenShot2020-02-08at7_16_59PM.png.e078eb9d7154c4be3ab6680f391afb9d.pngCalaverite

In general when submitting photos for mineral id, sharp focus is very important, and scratching it with a knife can leave useful clues .

• Like 2

Thanks guys! 

That is interesting! 

So we have sulfides that appears as metal and others dont make a sound.

Will arsenopyrite get above your Iron discrimination too? 

I did not expect sulfides to do be classified as +-80 (gold/Silver). I came across a piece of basalt that gave a loud and clear signal but not a number on the metal indicator. 

How to you go about classifying mineral? Microscope? Send in a sample? What does it cost? Rent an xrd tester?

-E 

Black, semi- metallic, semi-crystalline, reads high on the scale, start considering a silver ore complex.  

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SnowProspector said:

How to you go about classifying mineral? Microscope? Send in a sample? What does it cost? Rent an xrd tester?

These people advertise in ICMJ.  I sent in some chips to them for $25 X-Ray Fluorescence (XRF) analysis.  The (in)consistency between sample readouts seemed extreme to me, although maybe that is typical.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim McCulloch said:

Black, semi- metallic, semi-crystalline, reads high on the scale, start considering a silver ore complex.  

Thanks!

I have been thinking(hoping) that it could be some more exotic metal. 

There is a Company that renta out XRD gun where I live. I will Contact them for a quoate. 

-E

Take it to a local rock club or school geology department. Of post a really sharp photo.

XRF  machines must be calibrated correctly. They require some specific procedures to be accurate....

but it ain’t my money

fred

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By dogodog
      I found this button a month ago and posted a bunch of photo's with my other finds. I thought it was just another old button, but today I saw some detail in it and started to clean it. After about two hours of cleaning this is what I found. The button has a steel back and a brass front, the back has writing on it that is not legible. I'm hoping GB can help me out with the id. Any button people out there, your help will be appreciated. Mid to late 1800's ? The design is really unique. Stars, snake, infinity symbol, sailing ships, little circles and cattail plant. too fancy to be an average button ( my opinion) Look at it and tell me your thoughts.

• By Treasurehunt
      Why is it so much oxidation on this rock? Is it oxide of iron?
      Thank you

• By uknowhooiyam
      This piece was found in a load of locally quarried limestone. It weighs 195 grams. A basic water displacement test gives approximately 11.5 g per cubic centimeter. It exhibits clear magnetic and strong paramagnetic qualities. It also has stony material in/on it. Any input would be appreciated.

• By Riggler
      Hello all! This is my first post here. I’m from eastern PA and I am on my 3rd detector and just love this hobby.
      So I have some challenging buttons here, and a couple of other artifacts. It took me a while to take the pictures and get this together.
      #1 and 2 I dug on two separate farm sites. #2 is small and was veeeery deep, like 10-11” deep. It has a strange shank that appears to be curled down from the top. I think it’s very old and I want to believe I might see an Eagle in there. You can just make out stars or dots around the edge of it. Badly corroded. I have no idea how to clean these up. I just used an old toothbrush and some water gently, then mineral oil to preserve.
      I can’t make out the backmark on #1 but it’s gorgeous - civilian?? Age??

#3 I is not dug and I snagged from an Etsy listing I stumbled on. Backmark reads “Feine Qual”, and there is a little paint remaining in the stripes on the front shield!

4 (broken) and 5-6 are large and small flat buttons from the farm site. 4 has a backmark I can’t make out, this one has brownish rust...

7-8 A musketball and minie ball??? Any ideas as to age??! I’m thinking 1850ish but I’m not an expert!

Thanks for any information on these, and happy hunting!

• By dogodog
      Yesterday while out testing a new program for my MK, I got a good hit. Seemed fairly deep so I thought it was a large object, after digging to about 12'' I reached the target. And thought to myself man that looks like a musket ball. Back story is, I was hunting within a quarter mile of a place were General Washington was holding up before the battle of Germantown. This place is very close to my house and has a lot of Rev war history. The ball measures anywhere from 0.586 to 0.625 and weighs 17.745 grams. I know some of the early muskets used a ball that was close to that, but that depended on the maker. Any thoughts would be great. Also I found an 18th century lockset on the same property about 5 years ago. Very cool if this is Rev War!!

• By GB_Amateur
      I found this ring with amber stone while detecting in a park a couple weeks ago.  The park was established in the early to mid 1950's, and previously it was a pasture.  I certainly don't know when this was dropped but I think it may be old.  It was only about 3 inches deep, but other targets in the general area (e.g. bullet casings) indicated that area had not been re-landscaped, likely ever.  Sorry for my poor photography -- the red background I chose has polluted the color of the ring.

A friend with a high quality camera shot some photos of the hallmarks, which were actually on the outside surface of the ring -- not where I'm used to finding markings.

Because the ring surface isn't flat, you can see that the middle mark is out of focus, but I think it is simply '925' with the numeral 9 not having been stamped well.  I think the left mark is either 'MI' or 'IW'.  The rightmost mark is the most interesting.  This one is actually upside down in the photo.  Again there is a '925' but the other two inscriptions are what I'm especially curious about.  Can anyone help with either the 'MI'/'IW' mark or the multi-icon RH mark?