Coins, bits, fishing sinkers and half a ring from beach last week in NZ. We have new 10, 20 and 50 cent cupro nickle coins which just degrade and rust in the sea salt or even the soil. The bad ones I just put between a cloth and a few whacks with a hammer to get the crud off, either rotary tumble with malt vinegar and salt or if Im feeling vicious.....into a container of CLR (calcium, lime and rust remover), then a container of water, finaly container of baking soda and water. Banks here will only accept coins that are recognizable.....no matter the colour, as in rotary tumbling I plonk the 10c cupro copper with "silver" 20 and 50's and they all come out a pretty pink! Only advantage of cupro nickle is they are magnetic.......using a 120kg pull neodymium is interesting fun !!!!!! However, what the photo does say is they were deep and bèen in the sand a long time.....and that is from a beach which is constantly detected by others.

IMG_08022020_154949_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg

• Like 5

Good finds and it does look as if some of them were quite deep.

What was the average depth of those coins?

On 2/9/2020 at 4:24 PM, 2Valen said:

Good finds and it does look as if some of them were quite deep.

What was the average depth of those coins?

Hi, unfortunately I didn't measure those at the time, but can say yes....some were deep. I guesstimate from 1 scoop to 3 scoops to get some out. Here is a photo of my scoop which WAS 12 inches, but now worn to 11.5 inches after 10 years or so.

IMG_09022020_175900_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg

IMG_09022020_175804_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg

• Like 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By DB1000
      I have 3 batches like this. I just listed one on CL for 225.00. Almost all iron items with some brass, ceramic etc. Priced too low? Too high? Going to be getting rid of all my old finds soon. Any ideas, opinions are good to hear. Thanks.

• By Dancer
      My 10 year old At getting some extra time while my Infinium is getting overhauled.  Found a brackish water small beach, tide just heading in slow.  Polluted with tabs and had been hunted recently.    Pretty quiet till I struck a small area with a nice spill of coins. So about $2.90 and no bling.    Doesn't sound like much but a bonanza after hunting in deeply sanded beaches.    Great day too.

• By Dancer
      So I've been running down every thing I can about it.  Been hunting since 2000, 12th season this winter on the Gulf Coast.    Hunting with a Infinium and At Pro. Back home, parks sport fields.     So I'm gonna seriously look into this machine.
      Dancer
    • By schoolofhardNox
      My second hunt this past week was at my favorite EMI beach. Besides getting a new scoop I also decided to try a Coiltek 14" anti-interference coil for my GPX. I need every advantage when hunting this beach, so I decided to give it a go. I was hoping I could still use the coin/relic setting with this coil as it is the deepest, but it was not going to happen. So I changed timings and it worked well. Now all that was left was to see how much depth I lost. Honestly, at first I did not like the coil since I really wanted the most depth I could get, as the coins tend to be deep. But I kept at it and eventually did get 2 silvers that were around 12" deep. Not bad, but a bit short of the depth I wanted. Then something strange happened. I got another deep sounding signal and dug down around 12". Still no target with the pinpointer, so I scraped another 2 inches out, and finally I heard the target, I carefully removed 1 more inch and I flipped out a small copper ring. I measured the hole and it was 15". I couldn't believe I heard that ring that deep. I'm pretty careful with my measuring and I saw the ring flip over when I was pulling sand away, so I'm confident that it was not falling back into the hole. I use a spade to get the bulk of the sand away and then use my hand to finish finding the target. Although it's just a junk ring, I like the enamel design that the 40's through 50's era produces. I've found a couple religious medals before and they were enameled the same way. A couple more trinkets and lots of junk I didn't photograph, and that was it. I'm always happy to get any silver at this beach, so 2 silvers this time of year is a good hunt for me. Just happy to get out twice in one week.

• By Jim in ma
      I got out twice last week to hit the negatives.  All were found with a TDI BH waist to chest deep in a drysuit.
      Both golds are 14k. The Eagle is silver.  Water was cold but with this many targets it keeps you warm digging plus yellow warms you up also.
      2 silver rings are missing as my Grandkids got them. It used to be just my wife who would claim my treasures.

• By mn90403
      Late this afternoon I snuck in a beach hunt.  It was very disappointing in the beginning.  The conditions were just great with a low tide but there was nothing much down low.  I began following the advice I gave Adam about Zig Zagging and it was only producing odd targets.  Sometimes the beach just doesn't have much to give you I began to say.  When I reached one of my good beaches after about a mile walk and the conditions weren't right it was time to return on the high side.
      This I did and I worked my way into a few coins rather than just trash and by now I had 3 cheap rings which I would have been 'satisfied' with had I gotten back to my car then but it was a great sunset again.  This time I didn't have my phone so no pictures of it.  I worked the high side for a bit with a grid and then I heard a little 1.  When I say 'little' I mean it was not very loud.  It was consistent and I was hopeful.  I don't get many 1's so in my first scoop I could see something sandy hanging from it and it had knots.  It wasn't exactly balled up but I could tell it was a chain and I was hopeful.
      I could see it ... GOLD!

And when I got it home I was able to measure it.  It is 30 inches (a delicate link) that weighs 8.4 grams.

That gives me some pause but I'll get it checked and modify the post if it is a fake.
      Here it is with the other junk from the hunt.

Here is a hunt from 4 days ago when there was a lot less than today.

Mitchel