Sign in to follow this  
Chase Goldman

Confederate Bucket Lister On Improbable February Pa Relic Hunt

That is a good take, well done!

I had been eyeing the Orx or Deus for a while but wish they had a real waterproof version.

How's the HF coil vs the X coils?

• Thanks 1

Quite the haul for a chilly 3 hour February hunt in Pennsylvania!  I assme no mintmark on the Seated Quarter since you didn't mention it, but still a nice find, and probably dropped during the CW?  Glad to hear the ORX is holding its own.  I realize your Confederate I-button is the key find of the hunt.  All I know about CW relics is that Confederate items tend to be much rarer than their Union counterparts.

• Like 1

I've always liked the 9" HF coil from the day I got it.  I do have an 11" x35 and it is a great coil, especially since it can be dialed down to just below 4khz for max depth on high conductors, but I always seem to gravitate back to that 9" round, and can't argue with the results.  My hunting partner uses the 9×5" elliptical exclusively and does even better despite the supposed limitation in depth vs. the round.  I have the elliptical too, but reserve it for really tight swing situations.  HTH.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Quite the haul for a chilly 3 hour February hunt in Pennsylvania!  I assme no mintmark on the Seated Quarter since you didn't mention it, but still a nice find, and probably dropped during the CW?  Glad to hear the ORX is holding its own.  I realize your Confederate I-button is the key find of the hunt.  All I know about CW relics is that Confederate items tend to be much rarer than their Union counterparts.

Chuck,  Alas no MM.  A huge "O" would be nice, several hundred dollars even in that well worn condition.  Probably a CW period drop, but it is pretty worn for an 1860's drop of an 1854 coin.

Great job and wonderful finds.

Glad to see you hitting on those good targets, by the way how much trash did you have to dig to get those finds.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2Valen said:

Great job and wonderful finds.

Glad to see you hitting on those good targets, by the way how much trash did you have to dig to get those finds.

Not bad, probably 3 or 4 to 1.  Was digging a lot of probable iron signals just to be sure including a long chain and some "cheeto" nails that falsed high.  A few pieces of aluminum here and there.

• Like 2

Nice job.. is that Block "i" a one piece button?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DetectorMoe said:

Nice job.. is that Block "i" a one piece button?

It is a 2-piece button with a tin or iron back which corrodes easily making it very fragile.  Not uncommon for these to simply disintegrate upon recovery or during restoration. Sealing it up soonest as-is to preserve its integrity.

• Like 1