Orx Has Been My Go To Relic Detector Lately

Chase Goldman

Long time Deus user, but I am pretty convinced XP did something to juice Gold Mode on Orx vs. Deus' Gold Field  and it is my preferred mode for relic hunting, recently.  I like the 9" HF coil and hunt at 14 or 30 khz, typically.  Have not had problems hitting all kinds of silver, brass, and lead in moderately to high mineralized soil at various depths and junk target densities.  The one touch instant GB grab and pop up TID and Iron Probability meters enhance the user interface over Deus too.  ORX finds over the last couple months pictured below:

20191214_170223.thumb.jpg.526ecbe9b28bfd4af82e9ca16695d489.jpg20191214_170230.thumb.jpg.faf1c91c7e39d3cc2a853b281a98c529.jpg1857303633_1854SeatedQuarter.thumb.jpg.2a37b3cd7e16361d592e1223499de78b.jpg1521872235_1925SLQ.thumb.jpg.100ca5051b5a4975e079efbc9e1fcb30.jpg2126142631_ConfederateBlockIButton.thumb.jpg.18837bca7d7e05b34628b68d37297bb9.jpg299192821_GroupPicFinds.thumb.jpg.1ffcb88f22d311e8b65c9182291eb049.jpg

• Like 8

I totally agree with your assessment of the ORX gold modes for relic hunting. My experience has been similar to yours. The same goes for gold prospecting when I need a very lightweight, extremely capable prospecting detector with just about threshold based all metal operation but with two tones----ferrous/non ferrous that actually works well. I am still afraid I am going to totally destroy it by accidentally dropping it off of a mountain side or by tripping over something and smashing it. It has taken several hard tumbles so far and just keeps working.........

My only complaints are that I want it to have iron audio incremental volume adjustment and a back and forth button to switch programs instead of just a forward button.

Great finds,

Jeff

• Like 4

Those are some fine finds, Chase. I never had or used a Deus, but the simplicity of the Orx appealed to me a lot and the lower price enticed me to get one. I’m extremely satisfied with it, and it is quite complimentary to my Equinox 600. With the hi frequency 9” coil at 31 kHz using coin fast mostly, I’ve picked up a good number of finds in places that I thought Were pretty much cleared out. 
    I’m interested in using the gold modes for relic hunting but have yet to try it in any serious way. I never use the pinpoint mode -you simply don’t need it. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

My only complaints are that I want it to have iron audio incremental volume adjustment and a back and forth button to switch programs instead of just a forward button.

You read my mind.  I wouldn't mind a pitch audio option in the coin modes too.  The only complaint I had in the field was that the TIDs were pretty jumpy, but if I was getting a decent non-ferrous "group" of numbers, I was digging it.

11 minutes ago, relicmeister said:

I’m interested in using the gold modes for relic hunting but have yet to try it in any serious way. I never use the pinpoint mode -you simply don’t need it. 

Give it a shot. It might take some getting used to because it is basically all metal, but I feel it helps me "see" in the ground better than the coin modes.

I agree concerning the jumpy Target IDs. Here, in moderate to high mineralization and hot rocks using the 9" HF coil at 31 or 54 kHz in search of non-ferrous targets, the TIDs do jump quite a bit. If a couple are down in the ferrous range while the majority are in non-ferrous during target investigation I will just dig. What do I have to lose. I don't mind digging a little rusted chicken or screen wire, small boot tacks or tin shards in order to find some great non-ferrous relics or gold pickers and nuggets. After about 6" depth here the ORX ( and Deus too) just become audio only detectors anyway. I am still learning those deep targets tonal nuances.

relicmeister, I actually like the pinpoint mode and use it often. It has a built in depth meter of sorts too for coin sized objects.

Jeff

On the flip side, Jeff, despite the jumpy IDs, Orx does normalize target IDs from the white HF coils, while Deus does not and I find that helpful for high conductors.  Just another Orx advantage.

Anyway, still loving that Orx.  Hit the same site again, and while not a banner day like last time, it was still a worthwhile hunt with some decent keepers.

20200216_200822.jpg

• Like 2