Steve Herschbach

Chris Ralph Youtube Prospecting Channel

For those of you more inclined to viewing instead of reading, Chris Ralph has put together an impressive collection of videos here. He is working hard at it adding a new video every week. Chris is very knowledgeable on various aspects of prospecting and mining with in-depth knowledge on geology. Take a few minutes and check it out.

Also check out Chris’ book, Fists Full of Gold

book-fists-full-of-gold.jpg

• Like 8

Thanks for the info Steve , never miss reading articles by Chris . Now I've got plenty of viewing . Going to a PMAV meeting tonight in the Golden Triangle and will inform the group in general business .

Cheers

goldrat 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      I keep an eye on various forums just in case something new of interest pops up. I thought I would list the ones I frequent most often here. Feel free to add to the list.

The prospecting forums I visit now and then are:

TreasureNet Gold Prospecting Forum
      Very active gold forums

Findmall Prospecting Forum
      General prospecting

Alaska Gold Forum
      General prospecting with Alaska emphasis
      The ICMJ Prospecting & Mining Forum
      Many sub-topics relating to prospecting and mining

Canadian Gold Prospecting Forum
      Very active forum with many sub-topics

And now the metal detecting forums:

Findmall Forums
      Detector model specific sub-forums

TreasureNet Forums
      Huge number of treasure hunting topics
      Friendly Forums
      Very active forums on a wide range of metal detecting subjects

Tom Dankowski Forum
      Focuses on technical aspects of detectors

The Arizona Forums
      All good, tend towards Minelab and Arizona but more varied of late
      Rob Allison's Nuggethunting Forums
      Chris Gholson's Arizona Outback Forums
      Bill Southern's Nuggetshooting Forums

What's happening in Australia?
      Australia Gold Detecting & Prospecting
      Prospecting Australia
    • By tvanwho
      I always wondered how did the old time miners in the USA from 1799-1900 approx, learn what rocks had gold values after the placers were worked out?
      There were few books, no color photos/no internet on the subject or mining schools, so where did they get the info, school of hard knocks?
      After all, it is not just quartz that can have gold....there is  greenstone, limonite, red clays, pyrites, sulfides, and many others that I only know about
      because of internet tips /books/videos from Chris Ralph,Jeff Williams, Steve H, and others. Maybe word of mouth was a BIG factor in the old days?
      -Tom
    • By mn90403
      Take My Land Matters with you and/or study it before you go.
      My Land Matters has managed to implement both the new Alaska BLM & State mining claims systems on the Alaska Mining Claims Map. They even went further by including the State Mineral Withdrawal areas and the State Mining Leases in the mapping.

Each BLM mining claim information window now has a link directly to the BLM ACRES case file for that claim.
      Each Alaska State Mining Claim or Lease information window has a link directly to the Alaska State ADL Case file.
      Each Alaska State Mineral Withdrawal  information window has a link directly to the Alaska State ADL Case file for the Closure Order.
      http://www.mylandmatters.org/Maps/ClaimsAk/GetMap
    • By idahogold
      Beautiful Country! Tremendous Patch! Enjoy! Ig 😜

• By cjc
      18/ Understanding “Below-Zero” Accepts
      I take this term from the language used with the first programmable, digital machines that came onto the market in the 1980’s. These set a benchmark for all others since. Part of the reason for this was because although they balanced out mineralization in the ground, they also examined the iron in the ground to see if there were targets mixed in with it. If you can imagine a scale of minus 100 to plus 100 with “0” being the line between non-ferrous and ferrous, these machines used “below zero accepts”. By this I mean that they were pre-set to examine part of this iron range (usually the first “30”increments) instead of just knocking it out. This created much better depth (by the standards of the day). These machines also had the ability to pick targets from amongst this iron--by hearing it too rather than just suppressing it. This is also the Anfibio’s strength--but with much more overall sensitivity. So what you have with the Anfibio is a very sophisticated level of filtering and processing that:

• -first, gathers a full and very detailed picture of what is under the coil.
      • -then filters this diverse signal down to sort the (quick-responding) consistent parts from the (slow-responding) less consistent ones.

This broad, detailed initial “look” at the ground means that the detector can separate out small, deep objects as well as those that are in very close to iron very effectively. In effect the Anfibio is “reaching” down into the iron range to give the machine more detecting power. This also means that desirable targets that are coming in partly within this range are more readily detectable.  Things like stainless watches, corroded targets such as long buried brass also respond better than with other machines. The “trade-off “here is that the line between ferrous and non-ferrous is blurred. This is true of all high Gain detectors. Things like round bolts and some of the more solid iron objects can jump up to overwhelm the discriminate circuit. So you have a “two edged sword.”
      Where you want to get better responses from low conductors such as gold chains and earrings--you can run a lower discriminate and / or first Tone Break. However, when you do this--more iron, steel (such as bobby-pins), and other weak conductors will respond. Rather than an actual ferrous / non-ferrous line, what you have is more like a “firewall”--and as you bring the Discriminate and first Tone Break up--this “firewall” is made thicker. Learning to manage this “rust line” is a very important skill that will let you select targets with more accuracy and stabilize the unit at high Gain settings.

A low Discriminate / Tone Break setting opens the machine up to more of this “below zero” range. This comes through in the form of “crackle” and other falses. A higher setting creates a bigger reject block between the two (plus and minus) “sides.” Understanding this--and being able to choose a correct setting is the essence of running a balanced signal--distributing the unit’s power evenly and—by standard, quietly. It’s important to recognize the fact that what a detector does is not to just punch down into the ground and alert on metal. Instead--as described above--it acts to separate ground from metal. What this means is that the iron and ground’s responses form part of the signal. A good way to understand this is to think of all metal signals as being a “peak” in the larger ground’s signal.

The more of this low range you want to inhibit (block off)--the fewer targets will be available. (For hunters interested in re-working “hunted out” type sites--opening up this low discriminate range is another option that can be combined with a slow recovery speed (Deep mode) or a faster one (3 Tone) or targeted hunt methods using one of the three Frequency options).

Remember--it’s not depth that obscures targets--it’s the surrounding “noise.” The more of this “noise” you are prepared to learn to “hear though,” the more you will find.

Alternately--creating a wider, more solid bottom reject block can also reduce noise--allowing targets to “jump” though as with the Beach mode’s high Discriminate setting of “15.” This type of setting can be used either to bring the machine’s processing up above the noise level of difficult ground or salt sand, or to reduce the noise of dense iron and bring up masked signals.

From: "Successful Treasure Hunting with the Notka / Makro Anfibio Multi Metal Detector" by Clive James Clynick (Prestige Publishing, 202