A "mcleod" Is Hard To Beat...

That's exactly what I use.  I learned how well this worked when digging line in the Forest.  Turns out, it is really good for removing overburden.  It's just hell getting it to my gullies.  If I can't drive nearby, I'm not going to hike it in.

• Like 1

Same as i use. Met a guy once that cut his down to 4 rake prongs/barbs. I used it and it was a lot easier to use. Unless your the hulk its bloody hard work scraping dirt back with that much surface area. (maybe im just week as pi$$) I do like your magnet idea, i hadnt thought about that.

• Like 1

Ah yes. The  McLeod. I remember it well. in my youth I worked one summer on a fire crew and I loved the McLeod. Then I liked the McLeod. Then the McLeod was OK. then I disliked the McLeod. Then I hated the McLeod. If my memory serves me correctly I recall single handedly  scrapping a fire line the entire length of the Sierra Nevada foothills. However it did teach me that telling someone to get the McLeod and start scrapping fire line was better than doing it myself. A fine tool, the McLeod.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 2/12/2020 at 9:01 AM, klunker said:

Ah yes. The  McLeod. I remember it well. in my youth I worked one summer on a fire crew and I loved the McLeod. Then I liked the McLeod. Then the McLeod was OK. then I disliked the McLeod. Then I hated the McLeod. If my memory serves me correctly I recall single handedly  scrapping a fire line the entire length of the Sierra Nevada foothills. However it did teach me that telling someone to get the McLeod and start scrapping fire line was better than doing it myself. A fine tool, the McLeod.

Look at the bright side, Klunker, you could have been stuck with the Polaski ..  LOL

Yep.  The McLeod brings back my glory days.  The smart ones on the fire line chose the McLeod because they were usually at the end of the fire line (after 10 people cleared the line ahead).  Aside from using in the forest service, I never saw it anywhere else.  Then while clearing the overburden from a wash with my pick (for prospecting), I thought to myself, "there has got to be a better way".  And then I remembered the glorious McLeod.  Now if I am clearing overburden not far from my truck, I will bring this before any rake in my garage.

$7 is a damn good price.  I'm sure I paid way more....

• Like 3

This is in the mail as a birthday gift, will have to figure out how best to magnetize it when it arrives.  Its a pick, scraper and rake in 1.  My wife saw me looking at it a while back and just surprised me! I think she wants me to use it for the garden.

Too bad it’s delayed a bit, so I only got this picture for my present so far...

74ADB10D-B288-4E19-A066-169E6D50987B.thumb.jpeg.4291ff00f98e189e79bdc2f28e3f69b8.jpeg