9x12 Concentric Coil Falsing On Snow Question

kac

I recently broke my stock dd and replaced it with the 9x12 concentric. For the life of me I could not ground balance the machine in snow, just an inch or 2 it would false out like crazy. I did repair my dd but it is slightly out.

Sent the 2 coils to Garrett along with the AT Pro and they repaired the machine, put in new firmware and confirmed the dd was out of wack. Went to use the machine over the weekend and still can't gb it with the concentric.

Does anyone have a 9x12 concentric on an AT Pro and can confirm the issue? Not sure if it is the snow or the machine is marginal and sensitive to the cold or not.

Thanks

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Snow is invisible to a metal detector.

Clean snow is, anyway.  I can imagine that snow that fell near a coal fired power plant (without scrubbers) might be a different story....

• Like 1

That's what I thought. I wasn't sure because the machine has been broken since the dd coil cracked and I got the concentric to replace that. Garrett seemed to have not repaired the machine itself and only replaced the cover and updated firmware then shipped it back to me. I suspected something was wrong because after a few minutes of testing I noticed the audio was flat (all or nothing sounds on targets) and depth didn't seem right.

I took my tejon out in the same snow and it gb's fine no issues.

If I layout a series of targets and sweep the coil over them a few times to check recovery speed it works fine for about half dozen passes then will only pick up on one or 2 targets. I check the gb and sure enough the machine is falsing badly as if it was in the salt. Factory reset does nothing but if i leave the machine off for a while I can gb and soon it fails again.

To me that sounds like there is a bad capacitor on the board. Got a message in to Garrett and hopefully they can make things right. If not I have a nel big and brand new concentric up for sale.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

Turned out I had a bad brand new coil, probably banged up in shipping. Garret replaced it right away and all is good now.

Very nice coil but the larger concentric rings in flat iron higher than the smaller concentric will. Depth is slightly more than the stock dd. VDI #'s are solid. Overall good coil to have in your arsenal.

• Like 1