Why Can't I Get Spare Batteries For My GPZ 7000?

nvchris

I am starting to doubt we'll see a coil big or small anytime soon. And honestly I almost don't even want to see one because I know the price is going to be off putting to me on a machine that honestly is still a love/hate relationship for me at this point. I'm saying that as a loyal ML user since the first day I started detecting for gold. If they come out with the coils where people have been predicting in the $1500-$2000 range I think I'm probably done buying stuff from ML in protest to their arbitrary pricing in the clouds.

Anyways, what I can't ignore is that it was almost 3 months after the US release until I saw a GPZ in the field not owned by a Minelab dealer, their associates and friends, or someone related to Minelab in shape or form (except my own machine), and I was out detecting basically every day in probably the most popular general area to run GPZs after the initial release. I could be completely off base here since I know dealers are saying they sold like hotcakes, but I am starting to suspect they haven't sold enough units to make an add-on coil profitable to manufacture. Again, just me speculating, nothing more. If they drop the price on the 7000 and sell a bunch of units I think we'd see a coil come out fairly quick though.

Doesn't explain why you can't buy a battery though, actually until I read this post I assumed you could since I haven't tried yet, kinda surprised you can't.

Yeah, have a feeling also GPZ sales haven`t been as ML would have liked them, but I guess the lack of batteries etc is tied more into ML being busy with the Go-Find range. The 14" coil is a sweet spot for gold detectors, especially with its sensitivity and depth. Doubt I`d go bigger, 10" would be nice for rocky creek work. Other than faulty original batteries has anyone had a battery failure that has done a lot of hours? 

Surely the batteries before the coil.

Mine came with a faulty battery, luckily for me I had 2 batteries for my CTX and was able to use the unit over the 10 days it took for ML America to replace it.

I commented @ the Go Find roll out, that this was the reason we can't have nice things for the Zed.

Not even a soft carry case....I did get a few bumper sticker tho!

Minelab spare parts are made of pure "unobtanium" - and priced accordingly.

I was so happy when I sold my SD2100. Every time I turned it on there was this little delay before it fired up and I'd think. If It doesn't start, I'm putting $900 in the dumpster.

I have had multiple Tesoro, Whites and Fisher machines. All of them could be repaired if they broke, usually quite reasonably.

Why is that? Because the companies keep bins of old parts around to support all but the most ancient machines.

Real sharp, up-to-date, bottom line driven, next quarter is the only future, companies don't do this.

I like the old way. I will never own another out of warranty Minelab product. I can't afford the risk.

Ok, that was crotchety old bad Rick.

Clear headed, objective, up to date Rick replies.

If you buy a professional tool, it's not a toy. You have a job for it to do. You put it to work, you use the heck out of it, it pays a return on investment in terms of what work it does and when it has served it's useful life, you dispose of it.

I get it.

Are you a professional? I am not.

• Like 3