Why Can't I Get Spare Batteries For My GPZ 7000?

nvchris

Crickey I sense another conspiracy, ML make heavier detectors, HipStick alleviates the pain. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Minelab spare parts are made of pure "unobtanium" - and priced accordingly.

I was so happy when I sold my SD2100. Every time I turned it on there was this little delay before it fired up and I'd think. If It doesn't start, I'm putting $900 in the dumpster.

I have had multiple Tesoro, Whites and Fisher machines. All of them could be repaired if they broke, usually quite reasonably.

Why is that? Because the companies keep bins of old parts around to support all but the most ancient machines.

Real sharp, up-to-date, bottom line driven, next quarter is the only future, companies don't do this.

I like the old way. I will never own another out of warranty Minelab product. I can't afford the risk.

It's a great shame that the older products don't get any support in the US. Minelab Australia will still service/repair from the SD2200D on. Once parts run out they scratch them so in Australia at least you would still be ok service/repair wise buying say a GP series for a few years yet. Don't know how much service/repair life is left in the SD2200's though.

To be fair, I did talk to someone at Kellyco who said,that,they would repair my 2100 if it needed it - depending on what the problem was and whether,they had or could get the part.

More modern machines of all brands, use surface mounted components and are much harder to repair by component replacement. I believe that mostly they get a board swap when a board mounted component fails. That has two consequences for out of warranty machines. First, the boards are expensive to produce, so after a machine goes out of production, the stock of spares is likely very limited. Second, the boards might be so expensive to,the customer that repair is uneconomical.

It is therefore probably just a sad fact of modern life that electronic devices are becoming less maintainable - Minelab is not alone in pricing spare parts like gold either. A tiny circuit board to control a switch on our stove cost $89. I guess it's just that Fisher, Garrett, Tesoro and Whites seem to look on repair service as a service and not a cash cow.

That, of course could,change at any time. Tesoro was known for fixing broken detectors for free under their lifetime warranty, even if you weren't the original buyer and therefor not the warranty holder - no more!

Minelab is not alone in pricing spare parts like gold either. A tiny circuit board to control a switch on our stove cost $89. I guess it's just that Fisher, Garrett, Tesoro and Whites seem to look on repair service as a service and not a cash cow.

Fisher just charged me $95 to replace two small switches on my GB2. Now, I didn't weigh them before I sent it in, but gram for gram thats gotta be close to spot.

If the 7000 battery is only $150 then I find that surprisingly reasonable for a ML product, I hope that's right, I'll take 2.

I bought a spare battery for my ctx a while ago and it was about $150...the GPZ would have to be more then that in my mind. 

strick

From http://www.fortbedfordmetaldetectors.com/minelab-CTX-GPZ-battery

Minelab CTX and GPZ battery options:

3011-0118 Stock CTX 3030 4.4 Ah battery $149

3011-0279 Stock GPZ 7000 10.0 Ah battery $195

3011-0280 Upgraded 13.3 Ah battery $234

This is the first mention I have seen of a talked about optional larger capacity battery for the GPZ. The page says in stock - but are they?

• Like 2

From http://www.fortbedfordmetaldetectors.com/minelab-CTX-GPZ-battery

Minelab CTX and GPZ battery options:

3011-0118 Stock CTX 3030 4.4 Ah battery $149

3011-0279 Stock GPZ 7000 10.0 Ah battery $195

3011-0280 Upgraded 13.3 Ah battery $234

This is the first mention I have seen of a talked about optional larger capacity battery for the GPZ. The page says in stock - but are they?

good Lord that a good price,