Emi And New Update

2Valen

The other day GB-Amateur said something that caught my interest about EMI problems with the 800.

So I could not help myself on trying to figure out why. I first rolled back to my original software 1.75 and went outside to look in my yard like i normally would.

Every time I had gotten within 50 feet of the power lines the unit would give false ID's of what was on the ground, and it just got worse from there.

I went further away from the lines and it would clear up until I got near the front of my home where my wifi router is located. When I looked at the display the display numbers were bouncing once again.

When I went to the back yard away from everything the 800 was as always working like it should and I even found a 1951 quarter.

I went back into the house to do the upgrade once again and retraced my steps with the new update.

I had no problems under the power lines no mater how close I got to them, I did find some really good targets that I will go back and dig up when it gets warmer.

I went to the front of my house and once again the 800 worked as it should without any interference at all. That is until I walked up to the front porch window and then I had a little bit of bouncing numbers.

I believe that the new update has solved most if not all of the EMI problems that I have had in the past, which is a good thing for me.

Under the power lines is where the used to tie up the horse carriages at the original church and that is where I have found some coins from the 1800's. Now with this new update I feel more confident that I will be able to find some really nice items there, and in my front yard.

Thanks for reading and tell me what you think about your update and EMI problems since the update.

• Like 8

Not going to roll back my software due to having problems with the new one taking.  However, I did not see much of a difference in EMI on the beach I am hunting. It does seems that a recovery speed and IB of 6 does tame it somewhat. 

STILL have issues with close cell phones from people passing by. 

Dave

1 hour ago, midalake said:

STILL have issues with close cell phones

I don't use cell phones so I would not know if that is the same, but I did notice a big difference with EMI where I have been hunting.

I am not close to a beach and hunt mostly parks, and old homesteads.

I am glad that I did the upgrade as I do see a lot of improvement with my 800.

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

If I ever have an EMI problem that I am struggling with dropping to single frequency usually 20khz solves it, sometimes 10khz, or just lowering the sensitivity from 24 to 19 or so.

Simon,

I did forget to mention that when I did the test everything was factory settings in Park 1, Park 2, Field 1, Field 2 modes.

The sense was at 20, auto ground balance, noise,  and multi mode.

I did want to try to out i fit was just my imagination or did the new update actually help.

Park and Field modes are most used by me for this area, so I didn't want to take anything for chance and get it right.

I hope this helps to clarify what I had done.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TripleT said:

I agree, the new update makes emi filtering work better.

Thanks for letting me know that I wasn't just imagining things, because I knew that something was different.

I've had my iPhone 8+ in my right pocked and noticed my EQ800 was erratic, and switching it to my left or rear pocket settled it down. 

Haven't noticed an EMI handling improvement since upgrading, but the area I tested the upgrade at I've never had issues with EMI, will have to see how it acts the next time I detect in the city.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cal_Cobra said:

will have to see how it acts the next time I detect in the city.

I was at a nearby town that has a power plant with a large number of lines going different directions. I went there because I have not been able to use the 800 there because of the noise. Today there was a big difference with the noise and it was almost none and now i will have to find time to go back for some serious hunting. All I have are these small towns near me less than 750 people in the and the big city closest to me is only 6,500 people. They are great for old coins as hardly nobody hunts this area.

You should see a difference in the cities as the power lines around here have been up a very long time. They are just now upgrading the system for the area and hope to have it completed in a year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phrunt said:

Crank your sensitivity up to maximum before doing the noise cancel,

I will try that tomorrow, I told my wife that I was going hunting on my birthday due to the good weather tomorrow.

6 hours ago, phrunt said:

Crank your sensitivity up to maximum before doing the noise cancel, then once done move it down to the desired level, I find that helps.

I do it on my GPX and GPZ too.  The more EMI it's exposed to the more likely it will find the cleanest channel is my theory.

I am hunting a problematic beach area. I will try it! Sounds like a good idea! My coil repair is still drying, fishing tomorrow, so won't get out till Tuesday.  Dave