phrunt

My First GPZ Gold With The 12" X-coil

Great finds Simon and good job around the power lines.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, 2Valen said:

Great finds Simon and good job around the power lines.

I only realized when I got home I completely forgot to even do a noise cancel, I probably could have done even better under them but I was very impressed with how well the GPZ handled the power lines anyway, this is a no go zone with the GPX.

• Like 1

Good stuff Simon, your on the board with the GPZ7000 and the x-coil all in one day, awesome.

(Hint), with the WM12 if you detct right handed then have the WM12 on your right hand side, I have it in my trousers pocket and the cable then going upto the SP01 or headphones or whatever else your using.

If the booster or whatever goes flat then I just clip the WM12 to the top strap of the armrest on the detector.

Yes the WM12 does not like being on the opposite side of the human body to the detector.

I recommend you keep using the WM12 and just get used to where you need to have it placed on your person.

cheers dave 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Agree with Dave. Right handed and always had the WM12 on the the R) side shoulder strap of the camelbak and it worked fine. 

Left side of the body was no good.  

Pellets and gold.  I always found the pellets had a very consistent and ‘round’ sound.  Small gold I felt was a similar noise but with a ‘crackle’.  Very rarely tricked between both those noises but it did happen once that I remember. Always dug everything but tried to guess what it was first. 

Good job on the gold  👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

interesting you had rounded sounds on pellets, I had two sounds for the one target per sweep for a lot of the pellets but it was the same wobbly sound, not a sharp noise.  I thought perhaps because they were close to the coil and it's a bit of a DD design going on there, even with a bit of depth though, two or three scrapes they gave off the wobbly sound, perhaps as my gain was on 20 they were still considered close to the coil due to the gain 🙂

It's my second time using it and I've got a lot to learn.    Bigger targets gave a normal GPX noise like the bigger size shotgun pellets and the bullets and bits of wire and whatever else.  These bits of gold that were 0.0X of a gram and the smaller size shotgun pellets were the wobbly sound.

On the QED and GPX I've never been able to distinguish pellets from gold, they always behaved the same to me.  I wish I could.

My learning process with the GPZ is to dig everything that makes a noise.

Thanks for the WM12 replies, had me worried I had a faulty one, I did have it on the wrong side of my body as that's where I wore the SP01 with the GPX to try keep it as far from the coil as possible.

I need to wait for a cooler day and spent the day using it, two short stints is nowhere near enough to feel confident on it, I was happy with the sizes of junk I was regularly finding.... tiny little things.

• Like 1

Drink more water!!!

good job on the gold

fred

• Thanks 1

Lead pellets generally will give a clean high-low non-ferrous single signal just like gold when first hit, the way to differentiate them is when you scrape off the surface layer their signal will invert more readily (before the coil gets close to the target) whereas gold targets usually won’t invert till the coil is right on them or as has been mentioned they can channel flip to and fro.

Old lead tends to be a softer signal due to the oxidisation/patina, I presume the patina and round shape is what causes the initial channel flipping (From high/low to loW/high). Solid water worn little nuggets using high sensitivity levels can channel flip on each pass of the coil, the channel flipping tends to act like noise cancelling making the signal seem very faint yet you can hear the faint signal a long way from the target (careful coil control is needed). 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Thanks JP so what I was hearing is channel flipping, thanks for explaining it to me in a way I can understand. 

Good going Simon.  I'll be off for another X-Coil adventure about 2 AM for a 4 hour drive to the gold.  I hope we'll score a nugget.

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By phrunt
      According to the Minelab website, the GPZ 7000 is "weather proof" meaning you can use it in the rain.
      The GPZ 14 coil is waterproof and submersible to a depth of 1 m (3 ft). You can easily detect rivers and shorelines with no fuss! The weatherproof design of the GPZ 7000 allows you to go detecting in rainy or wet conditions.
      This seems reasonable, it looks that way except the headphone socket on the back of it, in the worst possible location to fill up with water as your coil is on the ground pointing that socket straight up to the rain.  The other day JW and I were detecting in the rain and I couldn't help but notice the rain drops landed on the back of the GPZ and the water drops run down into the socket.  They just kept dripping down into that 6.35mm socket and it had me worried.  Over time I could see quite a lot of water getting in there, eventually it would fill up.
      I ordered a cover for my GPZ, while it's great for protecting the screen it doesn't cover up the back of the GPZ, leaving that same socket exposed to the rain.

The designers of the cover did a good job on the screen and control box but the back is wide open.

You can see the exposed socket there, no protection at all from the cover.  I'm never in my life going to use that socket so I went on the hunt for some covers for it and found these things

They just push into the socket and have a little lug to be able to pull them out when needed.
      Has anyone bothered with this sort of thing? Is there a need to? I ordered a lot of 10 as they were cheap anyway and I can put them on all of my detectors with the 1/4" sockets as I never use headphones and it's such a big hole for water and dirt to get in.
      You can get them at Amazon and various other auction sites and electronic stores.
      https://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Rubber-6-35mm-Microphone-Socket/dp/B00X7C1548/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=6.35mm+Audio+Jack+PC+DVD+Microphone+Socket+Dust+Cover&qid=1582528192&sr=8-1
      https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Black-Rubber-6-35mm-Audio-Jack-PC-DVD-Microphone-Socket-Dust-Cover-10PCS-/400985786548

• By madtuna
      Found a nice little run a couple of days ago, 2 days in a row just over 1/2 oz  each day and another 23 grams this morning.
      Here's a pic of this mornings total....

I don't film many digs anymore, but the bigger chunk had a bit of depth. I was hoping it would be deeper and bigger...but alas, not to be, it went just under 10 grams
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpUIZp0f7zQ
    • By Andyy
      Well, I tried a new way to get out to this new gold area I found.  The gold seemed fairly small, but I had to hike in at least 3 miles to get there.  So I tried to drive in another way in hopes of only having to hike in a mile.  Of course Google Earth made things seem better than they were (almost like I could drive right there), but in the end I only cut about a mile off the hike (one way).  So now I had a decision to make … take my GPZ 14" coil, the GM1000, or what I call my Midget Coil (10" Xcoil).  GPZ 14" about killed me getting out there last time so that was out.  I love the GM1000 on bedrock, but some of the bedrock here was very hot.  Usually in those cases, I will go to my GPZ 10" Xcoil, which I venture to say is at least on par with the SDC 2300 (with the exception of being a little bigger).  And the Xcoil is still a pleasure to hike with.  So off I went.  
      I started out hitting the areas I had been to before and got some good signals.  First piece was only about .1g.  Then I started finding slightly bigger .2g pieces.  Most of these seemed to be what I call runners.  Those are the ones in washes that I find on the sides of the wash, trying to run away when they see me coming.  The larger coils tend to lose a bit of depth when checking the sides and depressions.  The 10" Xcoil, however, does very well getting in there.  
      Overall, 5 pieces were found (total .75g).  Not a lot, but at least half of these finds were detected very carefully with the 14" coil and were missed.  The Xcoil was very clear on all but a 1 grainer piece that was about 2" deep on it's side.   All in all, it was just a fun day crumb chasing.

• By idahogold
      Cheers All from 20f frozen Idaho! Enjoy!!!😆

• By Jesse
      So I finally got a metal detector it's on its way the equinox 800. I also ordered the 6-inch coil. I'm going to post a picture of a specimen of gold my cousin found, he found it while working on a little creek that was known for gold back in the day. He found it without a metal detector just basically by chance looking down and picking up a piece of quartz off the bedrock. I know exactly where it is so I'm going to go to that spot. My question is should I literally just detect the whole Creek? There's also tailings piles on that Creek as well should I hit everything like a madman? 

• By nugget hunter nz
      So took the gpz out for couple days were I hunt managed to find out that my extra waterproofing didn't work after 20 mins of first day with xcoil so was back to std 14 on day to all and all we had good trip pulled 5 grams for 2 days and 3 nice bits including this one 
      It was all creek hunting and was defanitly impressed the the zeds depth 

Just hoping with few days sun in a bag rice the xcoil will work normaly again.. Guess I will have to wait for nf coils to be realesed for water ones as the std 14 took on water to even tho they ment to be submersible to 1 mtr