Advice On Two Gold Mines Needed To Hunt With Metal Detector

I have located two gold mines that I have access to after much research.

one mine about 4 ft tall in the side of a hill and has a nice pile of quartz rock tailings pile. rocks are about 12" wide. Should I remove all of the larger quartz rocks to get  down to the smaller rocks before I hunt with my 800 using a six inch coil?

the other is in the side of a creek bank about 2 feet high. No sign of tailings pile, so I guess just hunt the creek with my Equinox 800 and 6" coil in front of the mine and down stream and on both sides of the creek in case they had their washer equipment set up at that location.

both sites are rather remote so should not be much trash in the area.

thanks for any help.

• Like 1

When looking near or in a creek be sure to check both sides and up and down stream. You should be able to find what direction the gold came from even if it comes out of the side of the creek. Go slow and dig everything.

For the 4ft. tall mine, I would be careful as it may collapse if dug to much, several people have had it happen to them, move the larger pieces out of your way and check them good.

You are using a good combo for that hunt and I wish you the best of luck.

I used to hunt gold nuggets in the Georgia mountains with my two sons back in the late 80's. We had a firm rule, never go into any gold mines. I still obey that rule today. Not worth the risk especially since the majority of them are not hard rock tunnels but rather tunnels in the dirt or dirt and soft rock mixture.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1