Cal_cobra Meets An Indian Princess On The Spanish Trail

Cal_Cobra

On 2/14/2020 at 6:14 PM, Chase Goldman said:

More gold for Cal.  Surprised you didn't find some Spanish Silver too.  Nice digs.

Thanks, I hope there's some Spanish silver (or gold) left there for future trips.

23 hours ago, 2Valen said:

Great finds, and all I can say is that I live in the wrong place.

Great job and keep up the good work!

Thanks, I know good stuff comes out of Illinois too.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, steveg said:

Brian,

The word you used in the first sentence of your post, is the best one I can think of, to describe that...EPIC!

One thing I don't recall from the video, is how deep you think the gold coin was...just curious, as you said the machine was rock-solid on the "12" VDI...I am wondering how deep the EQX can hold that solid of an ID, in the dirt, on such a small coin...

Anyway, incredible job!  Your persistence with this site really, REALLY paid off, in a big way!

CONGRATS!!

Steve

Thanks Steve! 

I would say that it was easily 7" or so deep, it was two shovels full of dirt to get it out.  I left the hole open so I could examine it the next morning and it wasn't quite as deep as my Garrett pinpointer, so between 7"-8" I'd say, but probably closer to 7".

12 hours ago, Dan(NM) said:

What else can be said, that's what makes digging hundreds of pieces of trash worth it. You just never know when the next plug's gonna be a bucket lister. Congrats on a find of a lifetime!!

Thanks Dan,  you pretty much nailed it.  After digging god only knows how many .22 shells at this site over the years, I knew of them those .22 shells had to be a gold coin eventually.  This site isn't close to home, so over the past ten years, I've been able to get there one, maybe two times per year, and this particular spot has been a fun site, but riddled with small arms shells, flat rusty tin from ration cans and what not, as well as just a variety of all kinds of iron from nails to big stuff.  Definitely is more there, but it might be another ten years, if ever, until I equal or exceed this trip. 

11 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Not his first gold coin...so multiple lifetimes :biggrin:  That is a $1000 coin in VF30 condition!

She actually cleaned up really well (rinsed and patted with water, no rubbing/cleaning), and a coin collector buddy looked at it and said it would likely grade around AU55.  I don't sell my finds, so it's not about the value of the finds for me as much as it is connecting with the history, but it's fun to find a good one when you do get the gold.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, steveg said:
  • Yeah, and check out the value on the 1865-S Seated Dime...   :ohmy:

Yeah not too shabby eh?  I had zero idea when I dug it that it would be a good one too until I checked PCGS.  Pretty darn lucky IMO, I mean look at the other two seateds, their not in the best of shape (worn mainly).  Too bad that Indian head penny wasn't a good year, it's a beauty for a dug copper coin.  One thing I love about this site is that it's in an arid location, with loamy sandy soils, and low mineralized, so aside from iron, finds tend to come out of the ground looking amazing.   

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Cal_Cobra said:

Thanks, I know good stuff comes out of Illinois too.

Well I did but my wife would say your wrong.

4 hours ago, Tnsharpshooter said:

Smashing finds.  Looks like Ole Tom slipped up and left.  Lol

Congrats.

Yep, can't get him to go there any more, so I guess I have this particular site all to myself for the future 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

You and your detector are both in tune with each other I’d say! Congratulations Brian!! 👍🏼 

Thanks Steve.  I feel like I've clicked with my EQ800 better than just about any other detector I've owned, with the Racer2 and Multi Kruzers coming in a close second, as they've also been great machines for me with a significant uptick in keepers since using them.