My Adventure Down South With Story And Pics

7 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Reading all the post I don’t think it was the question about if a VLF detector could be used in that ground? 

Gerry I don’t seeing you make a trip like that without a backup and maybe more than one. If so maybe one was a VLF and again if so did you give it a try?

The Best to you on If and when the next nugget hunting trip.

Chuck 

Chuck,  You are correct as I never go on a trip with one detector.  Yes I did take the Equinox with me as I was not totally sure what we would be encountering, plus if a machine goes down, I have the NOX.  

As for the ground soil conditions.  Most of the gold came in really red soil layers (like those who hunt Sawtooth) or have in some areas of Australia.  I could have easily found gold with the NOX on that trip as 2 of my bigger pieces were only a couple " deep.  Some of the small ones were also near the surface and in fact I spotted 2 nuggets on the surface.  I did like having the extra depth of the GPZ as it was very beneficial when hunting the old patches.  I dug some really deep gold on the trip, but nothing of larger size.

I don't know what kind of depths other folks get with their 7000's on 2 and 3 gram nuggets, but I can hear them 16 - 18".  My all time favorite was with Lunk in NV last year and it was a 1.9 gram at 18".  Both of us thought there had to be more in the hole, but not the case.

• Like 4

• The title was changed to My Adventure Down South With Story And Pics
20 hours ago, Lanny said:

Gerry, indeed a great adventure, and it's a great update on the legends of "easy" gold in Mexico. Nice to know the true story of how it is today, always seems to be a gold mine in someone else's backyard, but often our own backyards are just as good or better. . . .

Loved the story and the pictures.

All the best,

Lanny

To me it is all about Adventure to new sites.   It's much more rewarding and educational for me to see how people live in the area, what terrain and landscape is all about.  I enjoy seeing with my own eyes what makes up a site and why people would go visit or even live there.  Finding the gold is just an added bonus.  My list of "Just go do it" places is longer than most, but at the same time I feel I have been able to do more than the average Joe.  Maybe it is because I never had kids, maybe the wife enjoys me being away for a while, maybe just how I am wired, but I like to travel, absorb new things and dream.  Having the detector in hand also allows for a great many business write offs.

I have pretty good gold areas in ID, MT, OR, NV. that will always give a little.  Heck, If I spent the same amount of time at one of these sites, as I did in MX, I most certainly would have recovered more gold, but those sites I know well and in the back of my mind, new fresh ground in another region could be golden?  We've learned most of the time, those dreams really don't have loads more of gold, but just seeing new country is rewarding.

Now I do plan on heading back to Australia this fall and hopefully someone will invite me along for a couple or few days swinging.  I'd like to do a little nugget hunting as well as dip into the water for some beach/water detecting with an Equinox (one of my other passions - water hunting).  I figure someone over there might want to get some free tips/tricks and detector knowledge.  Heck, I might even sell my detectors after the trip to them for a really good price. 

I've spent time around the Leonora/Kalgoorlie area with some GP's years back, so somewhere new would be most ideal. 

Thanks for the comments.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, fredmason said:

Just get some of Paul’s magic charm and you will get plenty of invites!

Lunk will be with me for part of the trip as well, so those who invite us, will certainly have some tall tales to listen over.  Was it not Paul's magic that had some ups/downs during the trip?  Sometimes those minor issues just make us a better person.  In reality, being across the US, I'm most certain their will be issues.  Thanks for the recommendation,,, and is his magic charm juice very expensive?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

To me it is all about Adventure to new sites.   It's much more rewarding and educational for me to see how people live in the area, what terrain and landscape is all about.  I enjoy seeing with my own eyes what makes up a site and why people would go visit or even live there.  Finding the gold is just an added bonus.  My list of "Just go do it" places is longer than most, but at the same time I feel I have been able to do more than the average Joe.  Maybe it is because I never had kids, maybe the wife enjoys me being away for a while, maybe just how I am wired, but I like to travel, absorb new things and dream.  Having the detector in hand also allows for a great many business write offs.

I have pretty good gold areas in ID, MT, OR, NV. that will always give a little.  Heck, If I spent the same amount of time at one of these sites, as I did in MX, I most certainly would have recovered more gold, but those sites I know well and in the back of my mind, new fresh ground in another region could be golden?  We've learned most of the time, those dreams really don't have loads more of gold, but just seeing new country is rewarding.

Now I do plan on heading back to Australia this fall and hopefully someone will invite me along for a couple or few days swinging.  I'd like to do a little nugget hunting as well as dip into the water for some beach/water detecting with an Equinox (one of my other passions - water hunting).  I figure someone over there might want to get some free tips/tricks and detector knowledge.  Heck, I might even sell my detectors after the trip to them for a really good price. 

I've spent time around the Leonora/Kalgoorlie area with some GP's years back, so somewhere new would be most ideal. 

Thanks for the comments.

Yes, agreed. It's always been more about the adventure for me as well, but it was nice to have the low-down on Mexico too.

I've travelled widely chasing the gold, and I still do simply for the adventure, and many times, I haven't paid for my trips with the gold I found, nor is it a concern to me as the memories are the true value of the gold that lasts, as well as getting to meet the wonderful people I do along the way.

All the best,

Lanny

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am not sure what Witchery Paul uses, but he does get the invites...I am too shy to ask...or afraid of rejection....or what ever.

If you have not been to the Pilbra/Nullagine or the Kimberlys ....well, they are spectacular...in my opinion.

good luck and have fun

I love Oz

fred

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for sharing guys!  A real pick-me-up during these winter doldrums. As noted, both of you found some stunning pieces which are quite unique!

• Like 2