Oregon Gold - The Armstrong Nugget

mn90403

Who has seen it?  I'm sure someone on the forum has.

This is an article about the Armstrong Nugget which is 80.33 ozt.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/the-armstrong-nugget

22215588514_f2c6334a3b_o.jpg

• Like 9

I have never seen it, but that is beautiful. I am out of likes until tomorrow sorry.

42 minutes ago, 2Valen said:

I have never seen it, but that is beautiful. I am out of likes until tomorrow sorry.

I gave it one of mine for you 2Valens  :)  Nice to see the odd decent US colour.

• Like 2

I got more likes!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, jrbeatty said:

I gave it one of mine for you 2Valens  :) 

I tried to give you a like and it took, how did I get more likes this soon?

• Haha 1

I've seen it probably 20+ times.  When we do our Training in Sumpter, OR (30 miles away), I email all the clients important info before the training and one of the To Do items is to stop in Baker City at the bank.  It is one of the nicer displays of gold I have seen in the US.  Reason I like to stop in and see it more than once?  Many of the nuggets are in different types of matrix and some of them have notes of their recovered locations.  Plus there is an audio recording telling the story of the gold.  You get to pick up a couple post cards (see photo) of the nugget as well.  While there in Baker City (literally right off Interstate 84), also go see the gem and mineral collection.  It is not at the bank, but the largest I have ever seen.

As for where the Armstrong nugget was found.  Years ago I was swinging a GB-2 and found its little brother at the same location.  Now there is a plaque on display where the nugget was found.

Great read and thanks for sharing.

Scan_0002.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/16/2020 at 9:17 AM, Gerry in Idaho said:

Years ago I was swinging a GB-2 and found its little brother at the same location.

Geez Gerry, that's news to me!  And what did you name the Armstrong's little brother nugget?  Yep, I did see the Armstrong nugget in the bank display!  Very impressive, as was the story about how many folks walked right over it for years, until the right person found it!

• Haha 1

I can't wait until I find a nugget that is name - worthy!  Of course, it has to have the word "The" in front of its name as well 😁.

Incredible find!

The Dean

• Haha 1