14 hours ago, Glenn in CO said:

I'm very interested in your opinion and feedback on Heritage Auction when you hear back from them. I've never consider selling any gold specimens through an auction house before and would value anyone's experience in selling or consigning to a auction house good or bad. Gerry in Idaho also expressed interest in Heritage Auction in Mitchel's thread.  Gerry's Post

I’ve sold a few things at auction it’s time consuming the last item I auctioned it took at least 6mos before I saw any money, expensive the commissions are stiff, you pay extra for pictures and the larger add space although sometimes auctions are the best/only way. I did get an appraisal a couple years ago from Heritage and although I wasn’t ready to sell the auction company was helpful. This was a WW2 relic and I found the complete story about my piece in a book researching google, making it difficult to put a price on but Heritage did the best job out of the handful of auction houses I contacted.

I sent them the 3 rocks and another thing to look over, they apologize it may take a few days due to the number of requests but I expect they are first rate and will get back soon.

2 hours ago, 1515Art said:

I’ve sold a few things at auction it’s time consuming the last item I auctioned it took at least 6mos before I saw any money, expensive the commissions are stiff, you pay extra for pictures and the larger add space although sometimes auctions are the best/only way. I did get an appraisal a couple years ago from Heritage and although I wasn’t ready to sell the auction company was helpful. This was a WW2 relic and I found the complete story about my piece in a book researching google, making it difficult to put a price on but Heritage did the best job out of the handful of auction houses I contacted.

I sent them the 3 rocks and another thing to look over, they apologize it may take a few days due to the number of requests but I expect they are first rate and will get back soon.

Thanks for you feedback, it seems that if you sell your gold through a mineral or gold dealer they only want to pay you half or a little more than retail pricing on unique gold specimens that can range in pricing based on 2x to 10x or more on gold spot price. I know dealers have to make profit, but at that pricing maybe the auction house is the better way to go. Thanks again for the feedback!

• Like 1

The last piece I paid about 30% to Butterfield & Butterfield in San Francisco this was around 8 years ago and a few hundred more for pictures and ad space, it was just a old letter from the late 1700’s moved it from box to box and drawer to drawer over the years didn’t pay anything for it, there’s lots of them around and most of the time not worth much. This one was signed by a guy named “Geo Taylor” and I found out he belonged to a particular club made him collectible.

so 30’s better than 50 if the reserve is high enough and if you sign up with Heritage you can view the reserve prices and amount you need to minimum bid with commission give you the worst case.

• Thanks 1

Ha, I googled Geo Taylor letter and the very one I sold popped up I didn’t click on the link to read the details or when the sale happened this was a sale after mine.

in 2016 here’s the story     https://natedsanders.com/blog/2016/11/george-taylor-autograph/

4C364655-FD8A-41B7-98AE-344A1E4CA021.thumb.jpeg.7264576755e1a7a145bf606c1ccc12cf.jpeg

• Like 1

So my sale was 11800 I think with the premium he paid 13570 then sold it 8 years later for 20000 paying 6000 @ 30% commission making his investment 19570 for a screaming net profit of $430 yippie! If he bought pictures?

2 hours ago, 1515Art said:

So my sale was 11800 I think with the premium he paid 13570 then sold it 8 years later for 20000 paying 6000 @ 30% commission making his investment 19570 for a screaming net profit of $430 yippie! If he bought pictures?

Thanks again for the info! Very cool story about George Taylor, but it's nice to know the real story when some one buys an item and then sells it. If anyone reading that article would say "wow" that person got a lot of money for an autograph, not a very good investment for a eight year period.

I will contact Heritage Auction and submit a few gold specimens for appraisal and compare them to the retail appraisal I received from a well know mineral dealer and see if the auction route may be the better way to go.

Appreciate the help.

• Like 1

On 2/19/2020 at 9:48 PM, Glenn in CO said:

Thanks again for the info! Very cool story about George Taylor, but it's nice to know the real story when some one buys an item and then sells it. If anyone reading that article would say "wow" that person got a lot of money for an autograph, not a very good investment for a eight year period.

I will contact Heritage Auction and submit a few gold specimens for appraisal and compare them to the retail appraisal I received from a well know mineral dealer and see if the auction route may be the better way to go.

Appreciate the help.

Let us know what you find out too, I’m checking with the friend with the gold connections in Australia  and Nigeria on a price for gold nuggets directly from the supplier we’ll see what she comes up with. She did remark and seemed surprised they were asking as if it was pure 24k at full spot thinking from her perspective this was overcharging not being familiar with the premium nuggets can command so I’m hopeful the prices might be reasonable?

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, 1515Art said:

I saw this post late last evening and now it's disappeared. Anyway that was unbelievable intricate made dagger and appreciate the related info. 

15 hours ago, 1515Art said:

Let us know what you find out too, I’m checking with the friend with the gold connections in Australia  and Nigeria on a price for gold nuggets directly from the supplier we’ll see what she comes up with. She did remark and seemed surprised they were asking as if it was pure 24k at full spot thinking from her perspective this was overcharging not being familiar with the premium nuggets can command so I’m hopeful the prices might be reasonable?

Thanks for the update and will update when I receive information from Heritage.

• Like 1

I

1 hour ago, Glenn in CO said:

I saw this post late last evening and now it's disappeared. Anyway that was unbelievable intricate made dagger and appreciate the related info. 

Thanks for the update and will update when I receive information from Heritage.

After posting I was having some second thoughts so decided to take them down