Sign in to follow this  
bmentink

How To Waterproof MXT

HI Guys,

Anyone managed to waterproof the MXT sufficiently to use in the surf? I really like the versatility of the MXT, so don't really want to buy another surf targeted metal detector ..

Cheers

Strong baggy, tied around coil cable and good coil cover to hold it in place, suspend control box around your neck, dont stumble in the surf.  ...

Hmm .. interesting advice .. not sure about the control box around the neck, might just splash protect that with some transparent bag so I can still see & adjust controls .. :)

Wrapping the control box in a bag is about as good as anything for splash protection. Genuine waterproofing is a whole different ballgame though. I have seen MXTs and other detectors made truly waterproof with custom control boxes, but in my opinion unless you are into modding it's not worth the effort. You are better off getting an MX Sport if you really wanted to go full waterproof.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, I'm not into diving, so might give the full mod a miss, until I really need it ... I could do it though, as I am an Electronics Engineer .. Cheers

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By auminesweeper
      I was just looking on Whites web site and They no longer list 5x9-6x10 Eclipse coil for the MXT/V3i, All the other Coils are there but not this one.
      .http://www.whiteselectronics.com/accessories-books?cat=31&p=1

• By auminesweeper
      When it comes to disc setting we all have our preferred settings and we all carry on swinging the coil all day long without a care in the world, but after reading the Nokta fors gold thread, I got to wondering how many people adjust their Disc setting to allow for the Draw down effect caused buy hot ground, Most just get lazy and grab a rusty nail and wave it frantically over the coil and twist the knob til it sounds like a Goose farting in the fog and off we go til lunch time moaning to our mate that we got nothing, So then I got thinking about using the target we are after IE a rust stain Nugget in hot ground, So if we are lucky enough to find a small rust stained nugget then that would be the perfect item to use to tune our Disc settings with,

As Steve pointed out on the other thread this draw down effect can be as much as minus 20 to 30 on the VDI on a machine like the MXTs, Using the standard settings in the relic mode around 2.8-2.9 the MXT will knock out most junk but when using the relic mode for prospecting the normal thing to do is set the machine up so it just knocks out nails which is at around "2" on the dial but even with rust coated nuggets and hot ground this might be way to high,

I started testing and making notes of the where the dial starts to take effect and also what happens when you back it Off, The first thing I noticed was if you use a very rusted decaying 2" nail and by starting at disc Zero and turn it up to about 1.9 on the dial and at that setting the MXT will make Goose FF sounds with a VDI reading down from -10 ish down to -43. Now Once you have it set to that if you want to make that nail now make a High tone you will have to turn the Disc right down to 1.5 which will allow VDI reading of around the high -40s although you had to take it up to 1.9-2.0 to get it to make the low tone so Add the draw down of the ground effect and that the nuggets might be iron stained means that you have moved your chance of ever finding that nugget even further away,, There is a reason for the Iron probability meter on the GMT and in the manual they tell you to dig targets that read in to the 80%+ iron readings, Because if that nail can give you a reading of -25 add on to that That the ground can drag down the VDI reading by -30 or more that will give you a total reading of -55 yet you have set you disc to knock out nails that come between -25 to -40 then that would be Nugget is -15 below your Disc level which means you won't dig or hear it,

This brings to mind a mate in OZ who went prospecting in the centre of OZ in an area where 5K was having fits because of the junk, Anyway he took his MXT there to sort through the Iron and the hot rocks using it in the prospect mode In Tracking he was getting GND readings of 95 which is about as high as it goes and Yes he did find Gold, Although a Pi might of been the better choice which means digging the junk as well.

Good luck, john

• By auminesweeper
      G'day All
      I have just been Testing the GND readings On My MXT and My GMT and naturally they don't Match??
      Anyway the MXT read 84 to 85, But the thing that has me Thinking Is with the GMT If I have the 6x10 Long Scan coil on it I get a reading of 65, but If I put the Twin D Coil on it I get A Reading of 78, So If DD's are meant to be Better In Hot Ground, Then why does the Concentric give A Lower Ground Phase Reading Than The DD,
      I am starting to think that Concentric Coils are just as Good In Hot Ground BUT ??? because they are more sensitive that they pick up More Noise, And the fact that they are more Sensitive they Give A Truer Ground Reading??
      I know that the 6X10 Long Scan see's things that you would normally find with the Little Shooter Coil, Which is another reason why the GB 2 Is So Hot on Tiny Gold.
      But It is those GND Readings that are making me think this way.
      John
    • By auminesweeper
      In the past we have used VLFs for Nugget hunting and everyone was over the moon with their machines and since the Birth of the PI a lot of people put down VLFs, Which is A Bit unfair Really, 
      We have seen all the manufacturers Telling us all how good their machines are and about the Difference with their tracking systems etc etc,

In OZ a certain Famous Gold Nugget was found with A Garrett and that was a VLF although the nugget was Huge it was found about a Foot Deep, No Doubt our Machines have moved on Since the 1980s and Now we have different types of Tracking systems,
      The Theory of these system is to Balance out the Ground and keep the Detector running Smoother by making the Ground Invisible to the detector, Well If This Is The Case then why when we GB our machines Does the Ground still give us Problems, Like Drag down the VDIs or make Gold Give an Iron Signal or Reduce the Depth of the machine when the Ground balance was supposed to Take Care of that Problem??

So If the Ground is still causing problems  It makes me Wonder if I am in fairly hot Ground and I wave my coil Over a 2 ozt Nugget ?  ( I wish ) would I still hear it at about 7 to 8+ inches using My MXT, Or Would My GMT do it better.  I know the 14 kHz will work better and deeper in hot ground, But after reading A Famous prospectors comments I am not sure about which machine would find that 2 ozt Nugget easier.

Thanks Guys,, John

• By auminesweeper
      G'day Folks, Today I Bought the 15" MXT MAX Coil, I tested it on 0.12 gram Nuggets and it see's them easy between 4 and 6 inches and Coke cans at over 4 Feet, It seems to give you about an Extra 25% more Depth which is Good Because I have Gridded my sites with the 12" / 300 Coil, I have No Doubt this coil will see Smaller Items than 0.12grams so just because it is Big doesn't mean I am loosing sensitivity So I am Happy about that.
      John

• By auminesweeper
      Steve, I am wondering In that Area where you found that 6+ozt Nugget which Machine would be better out of the GMT and the MXT?? Baring in mind that It appears that the Software In The Newer GMTs seems a lot more powerful, In Air Tests It seems to be a lot deeper or maybe I just have a bad memory, But it Picks Items up from a HUGE Distance and If it Losses 50% of that distance in the Ground ?? Then It is Going to Be Awesome Out In The Field, So I am Wondering Have I bought A Mutant GMT or are all The Newer ones Like This??,
      As you have pointed out Many times that the MXT works better in Hotter Ground, But with this GMT I am Not so sure Now
      With the 5X9 (6X10) Twin D coil it is seeing things at the Same distance as my MXT 300 did using the 12" concentric Coil, we all know that coil see things about 5 or 6 inches more than the 5X9 Eclipse Coil Does, So Something In The Power Department is really Set to The MAX with these Newer GMTs,
      Thanks Mate,, John