Any Ideas On Age & Origin Of This Stirrup?

Found this yesterday while searching a site that previously produced a Civil War cartridge box plate.  I don't remember the exact location of that previous find, but the pictured stirrup was found within 30 m of its location.  (Hopefully I don't prejudice responses with this tidbit....)

As mentioned previously when I posted that find, it's over 100 miles to the nearest CW battlefield.  At that time I was pretty sure the box plate was a 'souvenir' drop from a homestead family member who had participated in the war.  It is possible there were practice maneuvers at this location, although I haven't found any written evidence that supports such.

All I know is that this site was previously a 19th Century homesite and I'm in what was previously a pasture.  It's been a municipal park for 51 years so almost certainly dropped before that.  The condition is pretty decent but I haven't found a manufacturers mark (and frankly don't know where to look for that).  My guess is that this was made in a blacksmith shop and not a mass produced item, but I'm about that least knowledgeable person on this subject.

Any help in identifying will be appreciated.

Oh, this was a 3 1/2 hour hunt, hoping for some old coins.  7 cents (modern coinage) was all I got in the coin category, so the stirrup saved the day.  It TID'ed in the upper teens on the Minelab Equinox.

stirrup1.JPG

stirrup2.JPG

• Like 3

Nice job on the hunt, and I believe that is from around early 1900 to about 1920.

https://img1.etsystatic.com/148/1/12279920/il_340x270.1124718575_98i0.jpg

• Like 2

In a private message, Tim (2Valen) recommended looking at the base more closely to see if I could find any manufacturer marks.  (Thanks, Tim.)  Wire brusing with a drill attachment didn't yield anything more.

At this point I think it just falls in the broad "1850 to 1950" timeframe, probably made in a blacksmith shop.  The fact it was found close to where I found a Civil War relic is likely an unrelated coincidence, other than it may have been dropped/lost by a member of the same family since this property was previously a 19th Century homestead occupied for decades (AFAIK) by members of the same family.

I returned for another afternoon hunt but found only a few modern coins.  I'm going to put this site back on the shelf.  As mentioned, it's now a municipal park but unfortunately some of the most promising (although not particularly old) ground, near concession stands, is locked up most of the time, only open occasionally in the warmer months by arrangement.  Even I wouldn't feel too comfortable detecting at those times with lots of peope around....  There should be more promising places for me to spend my time this year.

Hand forged is really hard to date. A smith that liked a particular design would pass this down to all his apprentices. The eye and the basic shape could be from your time frame but the platform is a little narrow, maybe it got squished in the ground. I know smiths that make reproductions now that would fool most experts if buried for a while. these techniques are passed down for a long time. If I had to guess it's 1880's possibly a woman's stirrup. Just my 2 cents. awesome find anyway you look at it. Just think who's foot and what horse that was on, maybe someone of stature?

• Like 2