Anybody Used The TDI Beach Hunter In The Gold Fields ?

Whitbey

Whites quoted on their website that the TDI beach hunter can also be used as a nuggett hunting  detector in the gold fields. Was wondering if their was somebody who tried it and what their experience is and what the sensitivity on small gold is?

The electronics in the TDI SL, TDI SL Hi Q, and TDI Beach Hunter, are the same circuit board.
The TDI Beach Hunter is locked into the ALL CONDUCTOR mode. It cannot separate low and high conductors liker the TDI SL.

Hope this help.

Good Luck😎

Sincerely

Hamid 

Separating high and low conductors when looking for a wide range of nuggets (sizes and purity) is risky as the crossover point ties in with where the GB is set. The TDIBH has the power but the GB range/resolution will be problematic in highly mineralised ground.....which down here is very widespread. In milder ground then it might be okay but if you are serious about nugget hunting then there are much better options out there. 

Whitbey in theory the Tdi Beach Hunter should to some extent operate like a Tdi Sl mounted with the 12 inch Duel Field coil with conductivity in ALL. Having said that, it means in theory it should work reasonably well on the goldfields. I have used the 12 inch Duel Field coil on the Victorian goldfields on a Tdi Sl, took a bit of time to get the ground balance 'just' right, there was a degree of 'ground noise' that had to be endured.  Due mainly to the size and character of the coil compared to a smaller mono for example. With my experience on the SL with this coil I conclude by stating it will be more work to ground balance and  operate but it is still fully functional despite being a bit noisy.  Since the coil wasn't hardwired I did swap out for  a smaller mono which was easier to ground balance, ran smoother and was more stable. As Tony state the machine may well be pushing its limits if the ground becomes very hot and you would be better served by other machines. 

Until you actually try it the question remains. You are not the only one asking this question, particularly in the USA were the soil conditions are perhaps less severe than those encountered by me in Victoria Australia or by Tony in Western Australia. The ability to take your beach machine into the goldfields is a bonus, perhaps into the rivers and steams in those areas.. certainly an area worthy of exploration.  All the best.

• Thanks 1

What I will do is take my TDIBH to an area of high mineralisation.....it’s not too far from home, maybe a 20 minute drive. Just waiting for the weather to cool off first.

I will put it through it’s paces and we’ll see what happens....stay tuned !

• Like 1

You guys are such great help and Tony I will be waiting for your test results . 

Thanks everybody  for your input!

Okay....results are in.....and it was an ugly experience for sure.

No matter what setting I tried, even with low gain and increased pulse delay, the old girl screamed her head off. The ground was quite mineralised so in benign soil then things might be okay but in traditionally mineralised goldfields then it is a futile exercise. The GB didn’t stand a chance and I think I scared off most of the wildlife In the area......time for a cold beer to steady my nerves.

Now in parts of the USA, a lot of gold bearing ground is in much, much milder soils so that might work out. Do your homework before venturing to new ground......if it’s anything but benign ground.......don’t take the TDIBH 👎

1 hour ago, Tony said:

Okay....results are in.....and it was an ugly experience for sure.

No matter what setting I tried, even with low gain and increased pulse delay, the old girl screamed her head off. The ground was quite mineralised so in benign soil then things might be okay but in traditionally mineralised goldfields then it is a futile exercise. The GB didn’t stand a chance and I think I scared off most of the wildlife In the area......time for a cold beer to steady my nerves.

Now in parts of the USA, a lot of gold bearing ground is in much, much milder soils so that might work out. Do your homework before venturing to new ground......if it’s anything but benign ground.......don’t take the TDIBH 👎

Thanks very much Tony for testing the unit, you saved me money and I will not by the TDIBH. ( Buyer Beware )