Anybody Used The TDI Beach Hunter In The Gold Fields ?

Whitbey

You are welcome......how’s the ground in your area ?

If it’s quiet then the TDIBH might be viable ???

I recall (although I wasn't detecting then, so read this after it was chronicled) that when TDI's with dual field coils were initially used in Australia there were so many problems/complaints that White's made mono coils in the same housings ("Aussie Mono's" or "Oz" coils) specifically for the problem.

I'd be surprised if the Beach Hunter operates differently than an equally outfitted TDI/SL -- that is with a 12" dual field coil and the conductivity switch set to 'all'.  One difference worth noting is that the ~1.5 lb weight difference since the TDI-BH, being waterproof, has more armour to accomplish that.

Gold has been found with TDI/SL's.  If someone were in the market for a dry land PI primarily for searching for native gold then getting a Beach Hunter wouldn't make sense.  OTOH, if someone who already owned a TDI-BH (presumably acquired to search beaches) and was going to do some occasional dry land nugget hunting, using a detector already in possession would seem to be a reasonable idea as opposed to running out and buying a PI detector specifically for that purpose.

It must be said, that big 12 inch duel field coil does suffer in hot ground. Parts of Western Australia are almost like being on an iron stone plate, that hot.  In some parts of the state the ground looks like something from Mars... 

For those using the Tdi Sl, in my experience the hotter the ground then the smaller the coil.  Large Duel Field coils suffer more so swap out for a smaller coil, quietest being a mono. Much easier to ground balance and it runs smoother and quieter. Part of the difficulty can be attributed to the single turn ground balance knob.. ten turn would be most welcome. The ability to switch into Low conductivity also makes for quieter operation, at a cost.

• Like 2