Tarsacci Black Sand Mix Relic Hunting

The day ended up too hot for man nor beast and my hunting buddy and I ended up in the water to cool off. We havent had rain since 1st week of December so relic hunting in dirt is out!!!!  The spot we went to was mixture of Black Iron sand, quartz sand and rocks I had to turn over. Iron and nails were in abundant supply but we will revisit here in cooler weather. I suspect people in the past with PI machines have snuck into this spot guaging by the mixed dates of targets found so the finds we were after were not as plentiful as they should have been , however I was happy with what I got and the performance of unit in hard hunting conditions.  Photo includes the trash before sussing out cherry picking.

Jews harp (broken unfortunately) , musket/pistol ball, 1889 UK penny, Nz pennies 1961,1946, bent apostle reaspoon, button from S.W.Silver &Co, London clothiers, oarlock.....which looks old but I cannot date, square nails which straight away tells me 1800s site and etc.

IMG_21022020_100201_(1024_x_768_pixel).jpg

• Like 4

Hi Phrunt, my detectors, finds and Soul are all intertwined, so posting photos is like baring my soul.......a bit unnerving to a hunter who would rather have a low profile, along with the fact NZ history to be found is rather far and few between.....plus our hypocritical antiquities law. Being a hunter, not photographer doesnt help, but I will give it a go.

What I WILL say is that in the year I have used the Tarsacci in demanding and difficult conditions it has given me some amazing finds both in  black iron sand and highly mineralised dirt.....and some ground had already been pounded by other brand detectors.  Even trash has been dug at great depths.....but I doubt anyone wants to see those photos!!!! 

Targets found by anyone at xxxx depth, is the depth where it is found,.....that is not an indication of what depth a detector can achieve. For example, I never retrieved a target at a truly unbelievable depth in black sand/ mud / ocean with the Tarsacci and my hunting buddy and I have to go back and try and find the spot to do so. Tide came in too quick. Then again......who wants to dig to Africa every hole??????

My depths in the above photo varied from a few inches to 16 inches. Yes there were deeper signals but not digging that far in that heat which is why a revisit is on the cards. The Auckland region is not as prolific in targets as other parts of the country so we really have to work for the good stuff. As Steve H says.....finding a spot no one has visited is the key., and thats getting harder each year.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Love those musket balls Teresa, hard to come by in my neck of the woods!

Aaron

• Like 1

Hi Teresa, 

Do you use blacksand mode while hunting?  Most users Don’t use it when hunting inland.

I use it while I’m park hunting in the city with a few radio stations in the area the blacksand sand mode  quiets the EMI but doesn’t quiet the music I get in my headphones. Nothing seems to get rid of the music reception I’m getting it’s not very loud I’ve never experienced anything like this with my other detectors. At the dry river when running full power I get erratic behavior but as soon as I turn on blacksand mode it goes away.  I’d rather have blacksand mode on than have to lower my sensitivity/threshold. Seems like I’m the only one who always uses it. 

Denny

On 2/20/2020 at 9:52 PM, Coilpower said:

The day ended up too hot for man nor beast and my hunting buddy and I ended up in the water to cool off. We havent had rain since 1st week of December so relic hunting in dirt is out!!!!  The spot we went to was mixture of Black Iron sand, quartz sand and rocks I had to turn over. Iron and nails were in abundant supply but we will revisit here in cooler weather. I suspect people in the past with PI machines have snuck into this spot guaging by the mixed dates of targets found so the finds we were after were not as plentiful as they should have been , however I was happy with what I got and the performance of unit in hard hunting conditions.  Photo includes the trash before sussing out cherry picking.

Jews harp (broken unfortunately) , musket/pistol ball, 1889 UK penny, Nz pennies 1961,1946, bent apostle reaspoon, button from S.W.Silver &Co, London clothiers, oarlock.....which looks old but I cannot date, square nails which straight away tells me 1800s site and etc.

IMG_21022020_100201_(1024_x_768_pixel).jpg

Find this info on your Button:

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/S._W._Silver_and_Co

RR

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 5:49 AM, Denny said:

Hi Teresa, 

Do you use blacksand mode while hunting?  Most users Don’t use it when hunting inland.

I use it while I’m park hunting in the city with a few radio stations in the area the blacksand sand mode  quiets the EMI but doesn’t quiet the music I get in my headphones. Nothing seems to get rid of the music reception I’m getting it’s not very loud I’ve never experienced anything like this with my other detectors. At the dry river when running full power I get erratic behavior but as soon as I turn on blacksand mode it goes away.  I’d rather have blacksand mode on than have to lower my sensitivity/threshold. Seems like I’m the only one who always uses it. 

Denny

Hi Denny, Yes I do at times use BLKS.  Unfortunately there doesnt sèm to be a +- frequency shift like the XP Deus, plus this unit is not a vlf. so I cant help you with the music. Do you hear it on each frequency or only 1.?There are some mediums  ( certain rocks/gravel) where you can run the Tarsacci too hot so bearing in mind full on doesnt mean more depth, as the depth is there even with lower settings....it is more a case of having  first off your GB and SALT balanced for a quiet unit, then play with the TH & SENS, possibly even turn TRACK on. I had a patch of gravel, sand and who knows what minerals play havoc and had me pushing buttons until I could run it quiet. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 6:02 AM, Rivers rat said:

Find this info on your Button:

https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/S._W._Silver_and_Co

RR

THANKS for that!!! 🙂

7 hours ago, Coilpower said:

Hi Denny, Yes I do at times use BLKS.  Unfortunately there doesnt sèm to be a +- frequency shift like the XP Deus, plus this unit is not a vlf. so I cant help you with the music. Do you hear it on each frequency or only 1.?There are some mediums  ( certain rocks/gravel) where you can run the Tarsacci too hot so bearing in mind full on doesnt mean more depth, as the depth is there even with lower settings....it is more a case of having  first off your GB and SALT balanced for a quiet unit, then play with the TH & SENS, possibly even turn TRACK on. I had a patch of gravel, sand and who knows what minerals play havoc and had me pushing buttons until I could run it quiet. 

Hello Teresa

Im getting music on all frequencies. I just have to deal with it.   I’ve mentioned the problem to nasa-Tom but didn’t get an answer to correct the issue.  Ive asked my local hunting partner Paul who also uses the MDT  to go out to this city park to see if his machine does the same.  Could it be I have a defective machine?  I don’t know. 

At the dry river I haven’t tried salt mode as this is a freshwater river I will try it next time I’m there.  There is lots of  metal junk tossed into this river like a dumping ground over the years and the MDT  handles it well. I cannot use my  T2 as it just overloads in areas I hunt because of high mineralization in the ground. Pulling pulltabs and bottle caps at depths of over 10 inches so it doing its job on deep targets. (I hate those aluminum foil covered  Modelo beer caps)   I’ve read 2 beach hunters using the Tarsacci were comparing their machines on a saltwater beach same settings and one was able to run full sensitivity 9, threshold 0 with no issues and the other had erratic behavior had to lower sensitivity a bit.  Depth was the same.   Could there be a difference in how coils are made?   Maybe.  I think the MDT does a fantastic job in bad ground and see targets in between a few old square nails better than my T2. 

Denny

7 hours ago, Denny said:

Hello Teresa

Im getting music on all frequencies. I just have to deal with it.   I’ve mentioned the problem to nasa-Tom but didn’t get an answer to correct the issue.  Ive asked my local hunting partner Paul who also uses the MDT  to go out to this city park to see if his machine does the same.  Could it be I have a defective machine?  I don’t know. 

At the dry river I haven’t tried salt mode as this is a freshwater river I will try it next time I’m there.  There is lots of  metal junk tossed into this river like a dumping ground over the years and the MDT  handles it well. I cannot use my  T2 as it just overloads in areas I hunt because of high mineralization in the ground. Pulling pulltabs and bottle caps at depths of over 10 inches so it doing its job on deep targets. (I hate those aluminum foil covered  Modelo beer caps)   I’ve read 2 beach hunters using the Tarsacci were comparing their machines on a saltwater beach same settings and one was able to run full sensitivity 9, threshold 0 with no issues and the other had erratic behavior had to lower sensitivity a bit.  Depth was the same.   Could there be a difference in how coils are made?   Maybe.  I think the MDT does a fantastic job in bad ground and see targets in between a few old square nails better than my T2. 

I dont think you have a defective unit but have awfully strong radio freq/waves getting picked up....free music though if you look on the bright side! I try to stay away from transmittors and pylons.....they dont mix well with detectors.

Pull tabs and bottletops are the curse we must suffer. However in MIX mode a lot of the ferrous bottlecaps give off a "hollow tinny" sound and may tid in at 16/18 depending upon depth.. Its only through trial and error you get to be right 80% of the time and not dig them. Pull tabs and caps may/may not (depending upon your sweep speed) give a "double" sound......most times tid jumping around or shifting centre equates junk. Caveat.....  a ring can also (via slow sweep speed)  give a double sound, but the tid will be steady with a nice chink on the end. 

I have no one here to go side by side with to replicate settings at the SAME beach on a same day so cannot comment there. I know that every time I go out I find "todays" settings to differ from "yesterdays" ....attributed to temperature, humidity, rain, changes in conditions etc. A reason why one had a more erratic unit at same settings is perhaps sand between the coil and coil cover.....something to be aware of and keep clean.

• Like 1