Single Muff Headphones (best)

I've been detecting for awhile now and have in the last couple of years started to use headphones, I always like to hear things around me. So my Question is who makes a quality single muff headphone ???? Or can you macgyver one,  The headset can be designed for metal detecting or for audio use, I don't care, I Just want a good quality headphone. Any help would be much appreciated (cost is not an issue) durability is. Hopefully this is not a dead horse. I'm new to the site so I apologize if this has been discussed before.

Thanks Mr. Salami, I'll do some research. I always assume service is a thing of the past 

28 minutes ago, dogodog said:

Thanks Mr. Salami, I'll do some research. I always assume service is a thing of the past 

My cable dry rotted after 2 years and I never got a response from them. I repaired them myself though. They are very well built and have an excellent click type volume control that stays put. 

Great options thanks Steve

Here's a poor man's (cheapskate's?) solution.  Let me start with a bit of background.  One of the moderately priced headphones that I've used and worked well for me are the White's Prostar.  I got a little overzealous stretching those to fit over my head one time and the plastic band across the top broke.  In my collection of headphones was a set of Jolly Roger's which had been a freebie bonus included by a retailer with a detector I had bought.  I decided to canibalize those to repair the Prostars.  Turns out a lot of the headphones share at least some mechanical components.  Subsequenty I decided to then repair the Jolly Roger's I had canibalized and bought a set of inexpensive Garrett MS-2's but when I tried them I liked them so much better than the Jolly Roger's that I decided to use the MS-2's as is rather than canibalize them.rattler-style_headphones.thumb.jpg.c40b31ca149f499a2dd19870cd3d2353.jpg

The reason I tell you all this is to explain part of what is apparent in the photo.  You can see the broken headband and where those broke off the yokes that the actual earpiece/speakers are mounted on.  Also shown are the parts I've now removed from one of the earpieces -- a small speaker and the wire I removed that went from one earpiece to the other.  (Not shown is the now removed plastic 'screen' that protects the speaker from being punctured.)  I used a 1 1/2 inch hole saw to make two large holes in the disabled earpiece.  Unfortunately the way I took the photo you can't see the second hole.  I haven't reassembled these since I don't have an intact headband, but use your imagination.  I could have done exactly the same thing with an intact set of headphones.  What I now have (sans headband) when re-assembled is effectively a Rattler style headphone set, but with all mechanical pieces symmetric on my head instead of a headphone on one side and a spring & foam pad on the other.

Now, you don't have to buy a $100 set of headpones (such as the Jolly Rogers I've butchered) to make such a modification.  In my experience, one of the reasons to pay for a premium set is to get a secure fit to your head so that background noise is blocked out.  If you're going to have one ear open to outside world you defeated the purpose/need of trying to eliminate as much background noise as possible.

I was going to suggest buying a set of Garrett MS-2's ($35, or less with shipping included in the USA if you shop around) and modding them similar to above.  (In my experience they have quite good sound quality, their biggest deficiency compared to my favorites -- Sunray Pro Golds -- is that they aren't as good at eliminating the background noise due to a looser fit.)  However, 1) the (single) volume control is on the earpiece that doesn't have the connection cord, and 2) I see no wire between the two earpieces (typically a wire goes between the two over the headband) so I don't know if disabling the uncabled side can be done without impacting the performance of the remaining earpiece.  Correction:  there is a tiny wire that runs through the plastic yolks and headband, that is amazingly well hidden.  So no electronic magic going on.  However, there still is the issue with the volume control on the opposite side from where the detector cable is located.

You can buy over-ear metal detector headphones for as little as $15 (pre-shipping) but I don't know the sound quality of any of those, so I can't make a recommendation.