auminesweeper

TDI Moore Creek Setting?

Steve, I just read your TDI Moore Creek Review and In it you said the you managed to run the TDI At Full Gain, Yet I have heard tales stating that the TDI is Noisy, So what I am asking is it the Location that made the TDI Quiet so you could run it that Hi or Is The TDI pro more Noisy than the TDI you Have/Had,

Because I have read many times that most people can not run them about 6 on the Gain,??

Thanks Steve.

John

My original TDI was as noisy as any of them, and I owned several at Moore Creek. Just like the SDC 2300 is inherently noisy. All that means is a ratty threshold as opposed to a smooth threshold. Some people it just drives nuts, to me it is just the way some detectors run. My ear rapidly normalizes whatever threshold sound a detector makes and picks out something abnormal as being a signal to be dug.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/magazine/steves-mining-journal/whites-tdi-moore-creek-alaska/

The only thing I tend to do different with noisy detectors (GPZ is another) is turn down the volume or other audio settings to make the ratty threshold minimally distinct while still allowing actual targets to stand out. I can see how if a person listened to that stuff set too loud all day it would be wearing. I barely hear it.

• Like 3

So The Noise is more about what people decide it is, In Stead to what It Actually is, As I tend to Run The GMT in The Same Manor As In On The Edge,

So Basically The TDI's Threshold is Quite Normal, I seem to remember my 3500 singing to me all be it in a Softer Tone,

Thank you for explaining that,

John

My TDi with stock 12 inch coil ran quiet in Arizona even tho the ground was red and black sand stringers all over the place? Worst ground possible looked like to me!  No nuggets ,just trash found, on a 24 Karat gold claim on the side of Rich Hill

I had trouble breathing at 4,000+ feet altitude tho, being used to sea level last 40 years.

Heck, we use caps a lot at work in the data center where I work and nobody complains.

-Tom V.

• Like 1

Thanks Tom, I was wondering If the TDI was subject to miss-understanding as with many sensitive machines,

Tom it would be nice if you can hit that gold a lot lower down, please let us know if you seal the deal, I love happy endings

Good luck Tom.

Who knows, maybe it was my fate in life? When going on a gold trip, there are 1001 things to do and remember, I wonder how Steve ever does it?

And I am trying to rebuild my highbanker according to Wal and Liz on the Australian Prospecting forum. Unfortunately, it is next to impossible to find the 1/2 inch thick aluminum catwalk grating with 1 :4 ratio diamond shaped openings that Wally says is necessary for his Walbanker highbanker and he doesn't sell parts for it.?  I am trying to improve my gold catching in the creeks and hopefully gemstone catching with this design. You know anybody who uses a Walbanker in Australia?

And I will probably get hassled for changing the subject, oh well...nice to talk to somebody down under now an then...

Who knows, maybe it was my fate in life? When going on a gold trip, there are 1001 things to do and remember, I wonder how Steve ever does it?

And I am trying to rebuild my highbanker according to Wal and Liz on the Australian Prospecting forum. Unfortunately, it is next to impossible to find the 1/2 inch thick aluminum catwalk grating with 1 :4 ratio diamond shaped openings that Wally says is necessary for his Walbanker highbanker and he doesn't sell parts for it.?  I am trying to improve my gold catching in the creeks and hopefully gemstone catching with this design. You know anybody who uses a Walbanker in Australia?

And I will probably get hassled for changing the subject, oh well...nice to talk to somebody down under now an then...

It's bed time there now mate but I have A plan so give me about 8 hours and I will find out for you Ok,

john

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Tony
      My cleaning regime after an ocean detecting session is meticulous but I got a little careless when I got home.
      i always rinse the unit really well at the beach showers and always look for signs of water ingress immediately afterwards and everything checked out fine.
      When I get home, everything is submerged in a long plastic tub full of warm fresh water where it soaks for about 15 minutes. I also add some mild liquid soap to help get all the salt out of every knock and cranny. I normally add the soap to the bottom of the tub and then blast the water in to get it mixed up......and THEN I place the detector in. Well today, I got careless and placed the detector into the bottom of the tub first and then for some unknown reason, proceeded to fill the tub with heavy water pressure.........yep........the force of the water got past the orange gasket and forced itself into the detector body. Luckily I noticed it straight away and no damage was done at all. I did have to disassemble the whole unit and dried it all out completely. Not too much water got in as you can see in the third photo. The biggest hassle is getting the gasket back on and securing the 8 screws evenly otherwise the gasket can bulge out in a few places.
      Lesson learnt........go easy with the water pressure when using the snap on hose connector. I’ve only made this mistake once and didn’t get away with it. 
      Anyhow, now you all get to see a disassembled TDIBH. Interestingly, the battery compartment is  completely separate from the electronics top half. As far as a waterproofness weakness.....it is the orange gasket but only from high dynamic water pressure.
      Tony

• By kac
      How good would the TDI SL work for sniffing out coins around old foundations that have a lot of iron but low to moderate aluminum? I have been looking at various coil and detector options out there for the vlfs whether a new machine or for the machines I have and have a feeling they aren't going do do anything significant performance wise.
      Trouble is some of the old coins I suspect are in the areas are near foundations and where land was disturbed when the buildings were constructed. Conditions have heavy brush so a smaller coil is needed to sniff around and tons of iron that mask out even my little concentric. Smaller coils aren't going to hit the depths I want to get to 12"+ on small silver.
      Aluminum that is there is fairly shallow and not a big deal. I dig all the ring tabs as they have the same signal and vdi as flying eagles here. Can's I can identify with my eardrums 🙂
    • By Steve Herschbach
      ...is that you can chest or hip mount the control box using the included pouch. The BeachHunter TDI is already the lightest weight waterproof ground balancing pulse induction (GBPI) detector on the market at 5.2 lbs. It is also the only GBPI model that comes ready to hip or chest mount. If you chest or hip mount the control box all you are swinging is the rod and coil at about 2 lbs. Nice!
      Note that the coil on the BeachHunter TDI is hardwired to the control box. Use care not to bend and stress the connection point to the control box as it could lead to premature failure of the coil cable.
      More about White's BeachHunter TDI

White's TDI BeachHunter with control box in hip mount / chest mount pouch

• By auminesweeper
      Steve has this article been removed because I have tried to read it a few times and I keep getting the Error 404 page??
      Thanks, john
    • By Mark Gillespie
      Whites TDI SL
      Went to an old school where the coal cinder waste has been dumped for years and hunted for 1 ½ hours. This area has been grid hunted for years and I was sure there were no goodies left to be found. Well wrong again.
      GB to a little over 8, pulse 10, gain 10 and off I went; very first signal was a wheat penny at 4-5 inches and perfectly vertical. You can see the scratch I made with my shovel. Wow, was I off on my pin pointing skills. Couldn’t believe how I could have missed that one because it gave a very good, consistent audio response from every direction. One thing I noticed, it didn’t give a double beep like a VLF machine would on a vertical coin.

Thought I had the sound nailed down, but was I wrong. Started digging nails, three to be exact, all sounded fairly good but I could tell there was something wrong, but I’m learning, so I dug anything that sounded remotely good.
      A few minutes later, not more than 10’ from the penny, another signal that sounded different, not sure what sounded different, still learning. Wow, a silver dime and not quite 5” deep. Now I am wondering how I could have missed that one, not a clue yet.
      Well anyway, the next two targets were nails, then another perfectly vertical copper penny. Had a very good hunt, for an area that basically dried up over a year ago. Wonder what I'll find once I have a little time on this machine?

• By auminesweeper
      Comparing the TDI SL and The MXT Pro (12")
      I was wondering if anyone as Compared these Two Machines, Because the SL is an in between machine, Between it and the ML 5K,
      I have been wondering about these two machine Because I have Read Stories about people Pulling One Ounce Nuggets at 18" At Gains Creek with the MXT fitted with the 12 inch Coil, And I have seen Coins come up at over 13" with the same setup with the Gain set between 6.5 to 7, Yet I have never heard about Deep Nuggets found with the TDI SL, and I have heard about people digging Bobby Pins on the beach with the TDI's at 16" to 18", In Air Tests My GMT with the standard 5X9 coil versus the TDI SL, On a Round Flat 1 1/4ozt Lead Nugget TDI SL = 18" and the GMT = 21" set at 7'5 (pre set mark) So I could do up to 10 if conditions Allow, But considering the SL has a 12 DF mono I would never of expected that to happen, Like The MXT when you Turn The GMT up you Can hear it Changing Gears so to Speak as it Multiplies the Gain,
      Has anyone here found any Deep Nuggets with the SL, I know that someone in OZ found a 5.6ozt nugget AT 32" using a 20 NF Coil,
      I have picked up Large Iron at have 4 foot deep and the subway Tunnel at over 6 feet deep, But as winter is all but over I am hoping to get out and do some testing ect,
      Thanks Guys,, John