TDI Moore Creek Setting?

Steve, I just read your TDI Moore Creek Review and In it you said the you managed to run the TDI At Full Gain, Yet I have heard tales stating that the TDI is Noisy, So what I am asking is it the Location that made the TDI Quiet so you could run it that Hi or Is The TDI pro more Noisy than the TDI you Have/Had,

Because I have read many times that most people can not run them about 6 on the Gain,??

Thanks Steve.

John

My original TDI was as noisy as any of them, and I owned several at Moore Creek. Just like the SDC 2300 is inherently noisy. All that means is a ratty threshold as opposed to a smooth threshold. Some people it just drives nuts, to me it is just the way some detectors run. My ear rapidly normalizes whatever threshold sound a detector makes and picks out something abnormal as being a signal to be dug.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/magazine/steves-mining-journal/whites-tdi-moore-creek-alaska/

The only thing I tend to do different with noisy detectors (GPZ is another) is turn down the volume or other audio settings to make the ratty threshold minimally distinct while still allowing actual targets to stand out. I can see how if a person listened to that stuff set too loud all day it would be wearing. I barely hear it.

• Like 3

So The Noise is more about what people decide it is, In Stead to what It Actually is, As I tend to Run The GMT in The Same Manor As In On The Edge,

So Basically The TDI's Threshold is Quite Normal, I seem to remember my 3500 singing to me all be it in a Softer Tone,

Thank you for explaining that,

John

My TDi with stock 12 inch coil ran quiet in Arizona even tho the ground was red and black sand stringers all over the place? Worst ground possible looked like to me!  No nuggets ,just trash found, on a 24 Karat gold claim on the side of Rich Hill

I had trouble breathing at 4,000+ feet altitude tho, being used to sea level last 40 years.

Heck, we use caps a lot at work in the data center where I work and nobody complains.

-Tom V.

• Like 1

Who knows, maybe it was my fate in life? When going on a gold trip, there are 1001 things to do and remember, I wonder how Steve ever does it?

And I am trying to rebuild my highbanker according to Wal and Liz on the Australian Prospecting forum. Unfortunately, it is next to impossible to find the 1/2 inch thick aluminum catwalk grating with 1 :4 ratio diamond shaped openings that Wally says is necessary for his Walbanker highbanker and he doesn't sell parts for it.?  I am trying to improve my gold catching in the creeks and hopefully gemstone catching with this design. You know anybody who uses a Walbanker in Australia?

And I will probably get hassled for changing the subject, oh well...nice to talk to somebody down under now an then...

Who knows, maybe it was my fate in life? When going on a gold trip, there are 1001 things to do and remember, I wonder how Steve ever does it?

And I am trying to rebuild my highbanker according to Wal and Liz on the Australian Prospecting forum. Unfortunately, it is next to impossible to find the 1/2 inch thick aluminum catwalk grating with 1 :4 ratio diamond shaped openings that Wally says is necessary for his Walbanker highbanker and he doesn't sell parts for it.?  I am trying to improve my gold catching in the creeks and hopefully gemstone catching with this design. You know anybody who uses a Walbanker in Australia?

And I will probably get hassled for changing the subject, oh well...nice to talk to somebody down under now an then...

It's bed time there now mate but I have A plan so give me about 8 hours and I will find out for you Ok,

john