Unusual Metal Object

bmentink

One possibility is that it might be melted tungsten from somewhere possibly from space debris.

Just a thought as it melts above 3,400 C.

If you have access to a 3d scanner, digitize the model then bring that into a program like FormZ or Rhino and you can get a precise volume and find what the specific density is to compare to metals. Still looks like some slag to me.

Thanks for the comments.

I tried to hit it with a Propane torch, I got a faint green tinge, but could not get it to melt yet alone glow red, .. must get a bigger burner ..

Is there a test for Silver or Tin? Anyone now the VDI for tin?

I did the Specific Gravity test and got 2.05, properly not accurate, closest on the table is Magnesium, however I would have to hit it with 650degC to melt that ..

16 hours ago, bmentink said:

I did the Specific Gravity test and got 2.05, properly not accurate,...

Pure aluminum has s.g. of 2.7 and most common Al alloys are between 2.7 and 3.0.  I suspect the early posts here had it right.

Aluminum is quite a diverse metal.  Today we (detectorists, anyway) think lowly of it, but the reason it's so popular is because of all its positive properties.  Here are just a few -- excellent electrical conductor (3rd best in elemental = pure form), fantastic reflector of visible light (probably #1, even better than silver), very high strength/weight ratio, resistant to typical environmental degradation (oxygen forms a protective coating, unlike iron), inexpensive, alloys are very easily machined and extruded.  The list goes on.

I for one have found pieces I was hoping were silver and I was disappointed when I figured out what they were.

• Like 2

Melting metal with a torch isn't the best indicator of metal type. Even using MAP gas on the hottest torch head (without oxygen) doesn't get you to max temperature as ambient air, size of the object and req btu's all factor in. I use a covered crucible with MAP and can only melt small amounts of brass or aluminum to a pour temperature and don't have enough btu's to do any significant castings.

Faint green means the metal has some copper in it but that could be from just about anything. It could be from plating ie an aluminum part that was chrome plated etc.

• Like 2