Blue Tooth Headphones Fell In Water , Repair Take Apart ?

KD0CAC

1 hour ago, KD0CAC said:

Ok got them apart ,  they unscrew .

Great news, and I am going to make notes on how these do come apart should I need to do it.

Most of the headphones that I have had to work on just snapped together so thanks again for the information.

I do not commonly do photos / videos , and was eager to remove salt and did not take before cleaning pic.s . 

Very heavy salt / corrosion inside of micro-USB plug and on the circuit board where the electrical / surface mount connections are made .

Also same on larger board at some of the wire sold points .

So soaking with alcohol & scrubbing with nylon brush , Q-tips & a carved down toothpick - to get inside of the micro-USB socket , at least half dozen times , then used Deoxit Gold with same scrubbing about 3 times , looks like new with magnification .

Will test in a day or 2 , need to leave Deoxit on all surfaces & wait to let dry - before plugging in .

The lithium battery has a BMS - Battery Management System board on one edge of battery , which if working as it should , would have shut down battery after low battery voltage is reached , so latter plug in to charge back up & test .   The short created by the salt turned the unit on / kinda , & drained the battery .

Hope this helps others when they fall into water , in this case salt water moving from boat to dock , heading to the beach . 

#1 , 2 , 3 , 4 with boards removed & cleaned .

#5 , 6 with boards installed .

#7 speaker back in , four holes for screws holding speaker in place .

#8 showing foam pad in place , look for little tabs on the inside edge - these clip the ear-pads in place .

#9 mostly back together , took all screws that I could see in the headband trying to get apart - as it turns out - did not have to remove any screws that you can see in both the ear pieces or the headband .

2020-02-27 12.21.23.jpg

2020-02-27 12.21.37.jpg

2020-02-27 12.22.02.jpg

2020-02-27 12.22.08.jpg

2020-02-27 12.27.38-1.jpg

2020-02-27 12.27.44-1.jpg

2020-02-27 12.33.19.jpg

2020-02-27 12.33.44.jpg

2020-02-27 12.36.20.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Great job, and very good description of the procedure that you have done.

Thanks for sharing everything with the forum.

The photos really showed a lot and nicely done.

Man, I hope you saved it!   Great tear down and refurb.   Nothing to lose by doing it since the warranty was out the window.  Let us know how it turns out.  I would put some sort of tether on them if you go back in the water or use a cheap set of earbuds with the WM08 module in a plastic bag or dive pouch and secured on your person somewhere if you you don’t go with full blown waterproof wired phones.

• Like 1

Great job, John.  As suspected, from the photos it looks like these headphones are throwaways once the battery is shot.  At least there are some decent replacement headphones out there for reasonable prices when replacement time comes.  Thanks for the photos!

I can access most of the electrical parts , including the battery , the plastic / case is what I would not have access to .

I suspect the battery is ok , it probably just shut down when min. voltage was reached .

But I am waiting for the Deoxit carrier drys off , then test .

I will report what comes of it . 

• Like 1

Good Job.

Regarding: "once the battery dies, it's a throwaway job"
That battery ( actually a single cell ) is easily replaced, by one the same size, or slightly smaller if need be. The size is marked on it, which is all you need, really. It tells you the physical dimensions, eg. this "492530" cell is 4.9mm x 25mm x 30mm. So a slightly undersize cell may be lower in capacity, giving a shorter run-time, but that's about all.

• Like 1

Well the battery & charging system works ok , but does not turn on yet .

Now have to get to costumers repairs , mine are last in line .

Will update on progress .

• Like 1

At least we now know the manufacturer is avlink and the modell is BT80 😃

Those headphones get sold under a variety of brand and model names. It's probably cheaper to get a replacement, than getting it fixed in a repair center. Here in germany you get some models for <30€. The original ones sell for about 180€ .. that's ridiculous .. there are some threads in the forum discussing compatible headphones, too.