My First Liberty Cap Large Cent

Nice find, I would have thought it was junk and kept going. I don't know much about a lot of coins but I am starting to learn.

Try rubbing a pencil on a piece of paper around the edge and see what you get. That might give you enough information to tell what it says.

• Like 1

Probably best left alone. From my experience trying to clean coins with heavy patina usually leaves nothing below but craters. Mild rinse is about all you can do.

I think I came across a flowing hair at one the spots I hit but was worse shape. Some of those large cents in good shape bring in some serious $$$$

If there are woods nearby, check around there and you should have better condition finds.

Congratulations on the Flowing Hair LG Cent.  I've only found one (1798 Cracked Die Reverse) in my 40+ yrs of detecting.  It was found over 20 yrs ago in NC.  Now that you have that one checked off the list, what is your next target coin?

Great dig.

3 hours ago, Gerry in Idaho said:

Congratulations on the Flowing Hair LG Cent.  I've only found one (1798 Cracked Die Reverse) in my 40+ yrs of detecting.  It was found over 20 yrs ago in NC.  Now that you have that one checked off the list, what is your next target coin?

Great dig.

Thanks Gerry,

Bust Silver anything.  only have dug silvers back to Seated.

For coppers, i want a half cent 1700s 

• Like 1