I just bought this magnet off of brute magnetic's  For magnet fishing and I hope I find some neat finds i will keep you guys informed on how it goes and if i find anything! https://brutemagnetics.com/collections/top-mount/products/brute-box-500-lb-magnet-fishing-bundle-2-95-magnet-rope-carabiner-threadlocker

• Like 4

My son sent me a magnet fishing setup last year for my birthday, I’ve only tried it once for a few minutes I didn’t find much but carry it in the Jeep just in case I find myself someplace I want to look. Depending where you live I’d imagine water crossings in historically rich area would A good place? They’ed probably kick me out of the Bellagio if I try it there, lol. 880# magnet should hang on pretty good, happy hunting show us what you find.

• Like 1

Around my area(Wisconsin )I have a lot of old brides and And lakes Where i can go magnet fish. I can go out to the rivers but ill have to wait till the spring when the lake thaws out to go to them

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Farm Hunter said:

Around my area(Wisconsin )I

Some people say that Hoffa was dumped in a barrel up that direction, you might get lucky and find him.

Lake Michigan is also a good place to look also, there are a lot of things out there.

• Like 1

Magnet fishing showing up here is ironic to me by the very fact it will attach to the same metal that metal detectorists try so hard to discriminate out, iron.  Since gold, silver, copper, and nickel will not attach to it, it has never really intrigued me (except when I was a kid and bought one out of a magazine ad).  That's not to say that there are not interesting iron and steel things to be recovered, but especially attempting to recover those things from the water, you know they are going to be pretty corroded.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Magnet fishing showing up here is ironic to me by the very fact it will attach to the same metal that metal detectorists try so hard to discriminate out, iron.  Since gold, silver, copper, and nickel will not attach to it, it has never really intrigued me (except when I was a kid and bought one out of a magazine ad).  That's not to say that there are not interesting iron and steel things to be recovered, but especially attempting to recover those things from the water, you know they are going to be pretty corroded.

• Some of the videos on YouTube are pretty fun to watch you get to cherry pick the finds, pulling out a gun would be a little rush kinda like finding a little nugget, might even help solve a crime, one of the videos over in Eastern Europe guy pulled an old ww2 machine gun out of a river. Find a place going through the old records and maps where you think a long abandoned river crossing might have been and bring your detector too, once you pull out all the old iron you can cherry pick the high tones. Might even find A safe full of gold, but that might take more than one magnet😀.

Magnet Fishing is hot in the Uk. lots of canals and channels that are hundreds of years old. Lots of cool stuff is being brought up.

• Like 3

Magnet fishing would be more compelling in countries that use ferromagnetic metallic coinage, I suppose and that probably improves its popularity in European countries.  That type of coinage does not exist in the US.

• Like 3

I am in Canada that has nickel plated, bronze plated steel coins. Magnets work great for plucking them out of your goodie bag.

PROBE2.JPG

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Joe R.
      I'm completely new to this sport. Boy that Simplex + was sure tempting.  Question,  looking to buy a Grave Digger shovel what size should I get 27 or 36 inches. Size don't matter right? Hehe They're sure pretty.
      Thanks in advance for your input. 
      Joe from Chicago.
    • By cool riverr
      when moving lots of material, or breaking down an old drywasher tailing.  I like to break the crust and knock them down by six inches or more.  Smooth it out, let it dry for a few minutes, and your coil just glides.  I added magnets sheathed in stainless steel to help clean up the trash.  

• By idahogold
      Forum- can the coin pros recommend the "1" to buy or what seems the overall standard" best brand" and digging tool for Grassy areas? Best Shovel Length and  single edge or dual edge? Left or Right side Lesche? Whats Best? Thanks Ig
    • By phrunt
      I'm chasing some advice.  I've not been much of a beach hunter but do it occasionally, I started with a terrible little plastic scoop and quickly upgraded to a galvanized metal scoop as the plastic one felt like it would break every time I dug a hole in compacted sand.   The Galvanized one wasn't too bad, quick and easy to dig with.
      I quickly got sick of getting on my knees to dig every hole when I encountered a beach with lots of bottle tops so I've just bought myself a stainless steel scoop that has the option of adding a long handle to. 

So I went down to the hardware store and purchased a hardwood handle for it, the problem now is, how long to I make my handle, this handle seems way too long as it goes up to my neck, I guess it's for a broom.
      What length is a good length for a sand scoop? I hope to use it in the water on a beach I did very well on in the sand.
      I'm 5'11" tall if that helps.
      Thanks for any advice.

• By JohnnyRox
      First part's about building the scoop.  The second part is where it gets good.  

• By Steve Herschbach
      Joe Beechnut OBN inspired this post and I hope he puts a copy of his other post on this thread. Thanks Joe!
      I have several scoops but my favorite by far is a heavy duty stainless steel model with 3/8" square holes that has held up very well in rocky material. It works just fine for rings. However, the 3/8" holes are a little large for when I get into places where there are lots of smaller targets. Many times I know the targets are no good, like .22 shell casings, but for areas I will hunt a lot I hate to leave them and then find them again. I got pretty good at retrieving them on the lip of my scoop, but that only works in calm water where I can clearly see what I am doing.
      I decided a floating sieve would be more efficient. I used to sell mining gear and have lots of the stuff myself. Keene came up with a line of deep sieves in various sizes that I really liked, though there are now other people making them also. The stainless models range from 1/2" to 100 mesh plus an all plastic model with 3/4" to 1/4" sizes. They measure about 4" deep from rim to screen. They are 14" at the top and 11" at the bottom, designed to sit in the top of a standard 5 gallon plastic pail. Very handy items to have around for multiple uses.
      I went with 1/8" for chasing micro jewelry and so far have been very happy with that choice, though some may think it a little too small. It depends on the beach - 1/8" works great in finer sand locations. I found tossing stuff in a floating sieve to be so handy though I also have a 3/8" plastic sieve I can mount for coarser material.
      The sieve mounts handily in the middle of a standard trailer tire tube, and I just tie it to my waders and float it around behind me as I hunt. I use the same scoop but employ it more as a shovel, and have even used duct tape to close the holes off temporarily, which worked surprisingly well.
      Anyway, this is one option. I really liked Joe's also, since it uses dense foam for the float, so no inflation issues, plus a little wider and lower profile. If anyone else has ideas or options please post away. 

Floating inner tube with 1/8" screen and 3/8" alternative