Multi Iq

Stephen Allen

I'm just wondering if this has been asked before ?

When I purchased my Equinox 800 the shop told me that the multi-iq is not available when in gold mode, only 40 and 20 kHz. In the manual it if I understand it correctly it says that in gold mode you have multi, 40 and 20khz modes. My question is

In gold mode is the multi, all frequencies 5, 10, 15, 20 and 40khz or is it only scanning 20 and 40khz in gold modes.

Hope someone can set me straight

2 hours ago, Stephen Allen said:

When I purchased my Equinox 800 the shop told me that the multi-iq is not available when in gold mode, only 40 and 20 kHz. In the manual it if I understand it correctly it says that in gold mode you have multi, 40 and 20khz modes. My question is

In gold mode is the multi, all frequencies 5, 10, 15, 20 and 40khz or is it only scanning 20 and 40khz in gold modes.

While the debate rages on regarding the actual answer to this question, there are a couple of things that can be said about the topic: 

Minelab has never actually precisely described what comprises the MultiIQ frequency spectrum for any of the modes and even though some folks have attempted to measure the the frequency output, there is still debate about how those measurements have been taken, etc. 

It is pretty clear that the 5 individual frequency settings for the Park and Field modes really do not have anything to do with the actual frequencies that are combined to create the various mode Multifrequency profiles and it is also pretty clear that "all five" individual frequencies are not combined in the spectrum in any mode.  It is more like 2, 3, or 4 depending which mode you are using.  Minelab created a lot of confusion by tying the 5 discrete frequencies into their overly simplified Multi IQ cloud diagrams.  

It is a myth that just because the 600 has fewer discrete individual frequencies 5, 10, and 15 khz) vs. the 800 (5, 10, 15, 20, and 40 khz) that the Multi IQ frequency spectrums for the equivalent modes are NOT the same between the 600 and 800.  Measurements show that they are likely identical.

Gold mode Multi IQ does appear to be heavily weighted to 40 khz with perhaps some 5 khz thrown in.  Suffice to say, whatever the actual combinations of frequencies it optimized for gold prospecting.

1 hour ago, garikfox said:

t's just the 20kHz and 40KHz while in the gold mode(s)

While true for single frequency ops, not true for Multi IQ for gold mode, see above.  Gold mode does use multiple frequencies but it is likely not combining 20 and 40 khz, it is probably 40 khz combined with 5 khz based on measurements.

Now that I have totally confused you and if you folks want to drive yourselves crazy on this topic, check out these posts:

Bottom Line:  Despite all this debate, it really isn't important to know what and how many frequencies are combined in any of the Multi IQ versions of each mode.  Just press the "I believe" button and be confident in the fact that Minelab has provided different Multi IQ profiles for each mode that are "optimized" to be suitable for the intended target objective of each mode as described in the Equinox user guide (e.g., Park 1 optimized for high conductive coins, Park 2 for mid conductive jewelry targets, etc.) and know that as an added bonus, Minelab has seen fit to provide certain single frequency options for each mode.  Also know this, even though the modes appear to be optimized for specific types of targets in Multi IQ, the fact is that most of them, with the possible exception of gold mode are suitable for general purpose detecting.  In other words, you are not going to be "blind" to gold or jewelry just because you use Park 1 or blind to silver coins because you are using Field 2 and even Gold Mode has uses in other types of detecting (such as for meteorites or relic hunting) besides gold prospecting.  HTH

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Stephen Allen said:

It would be so good seeing as the Equinox can be upgraded to allow the user the choice on what frequencies they want to use in multi mode and save it in the user profile. 

13 minutes ago, Stephen Allen said:

It would be so good seeing as the Equinox can be upgraded to allow the user the choice on what frequencies they want to use in multi mode and save it in the user 

The Multi IQ frequency profiles are not and likely will not ever be user adjustable, that is the purpose of having multiple modes (Park, Frequency, Beach, etc.) available.  Furthermore, transmit frequency profile, is only part of the Multi IQ secret sauce, the other being how the Equinox software processes the received target signal to provide target identification.

As you can see programs gold 1 and gold 2 are multi-frequency ...

EQ 800 program Gold1

DS1Z_QuickPrint133.jpg

EQ800 program Gold2

DS1Z_QuickPrint136.jpg

We can beat this dead horse all day....... but at the end of that day does it matter?   You know what you are looking for...... be it gold relic or what ever...... so based on all those using the machine whats the results...... and does it fit your needs?   as a multi use machine it has other advantages as well.   Will it out perform what you are using?   Thus far many are finding it does.   That should be your answer....... testing will give you the best method for adjusting it.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, dewcon4414 said:

We can beat this dead horse all day....... but at the end of that day does it matter?   You know what you are looking for...... be it gold relic or what ever...... so based on all those using the machine whats the results...... and does it fit your needs?   as a multi use machine it has other advantages as well.   Will it out perform what you are using?   Thus far many are finding it does.   That should be your answer....... testing will give you the best method for adjusting it.

Yes, the point is it doesn't matter, that's why I wrote the following in my post above.

12 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Bottom Line:  Despite all this debate, it really isn't important to know what and how many frequencies are combined in any of the Multi IQ versions of each mode.  Just press the "I believe" button and be confident in the fact that Minelab has provided different Multi IQ profiles for each mode that are "optimized" to be suitable for the intended target

But that doesn't stop people from repeatedly asking the question.  The reason being, misleading and contradictory detector manufacturer marketing claims that imply more combined frequencies (in simultaneous multifrequency) is somehow better.

BTW it isn't better and even Minelab comes clean about this but buries it in their "What is Multi IQ" articles that are mostly just read by hard core detector tech geeks or when Steve quotes these gems in his posts.

Heck, you can barely get the typical Equinox user to read the comprehensive user guide, which is pretty good.  Yet, we repeatedly explain how the different modes should be used and answer the "what are the best "programs"" questions.  The nature of these questions often betrays the fact that the poster has not cracked open the manual.  Fortunately. I enjoy answering those questions, perhaps going into more depth than the user guide and try provide "real world" perspective on the info that matters to the detectorist. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dewcon4414 said:

10 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

The Multi IQ frequency profiles are not and likely will not ever be user adjustable, that is the purpose of having multiple modes (Park, Frequency, Beach, etc.) available.  Furthermore, transmit frequency profile, is only part of the Multi IQ secret sauce, the other being how the Equinox software processes the received target signal to provide target identification.

So true... but I'd  love to know the recipe for the secret sauce lol

Well pickle me grandmother guys It was only a question.

I understand that some people are happy to just press the (as you call it) I Believe button but there are those people that likes to ask, to learn and indeed tweek those pre sets in the hope of finding better settings for different soils found in Australia.

Anyway I got my answer yes it does have multi frequencies. I now know.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stephen Allen said:

So true... but I'd  love to know the recipe for the secret sauce lol

Well pickle me grandmother guys It was only a question.

I understand that some people are happy to just press the (as you call it) I Believe button but there are those people that likes to ask, to learn and indeed tweek those pre sets in the hope of finding better settings for different soils found in Australia.

Anyway I got my answer yes it does have multi frequencies. I now know.

Not saying you shouldn’t tweak the user adjustable settings (e.g., ground balance, discrimination, tone ID breakpoints, recovery speed, and iron bias) for specific conditions, you should absolutely do that and can with Equinox.  The Multi IQ tweak is selecting the right mode for the job at hand and that is why ML provided basically 7 different multi IQ search profiles (Park 1/2, Field 1/2, Beach 1/2, and Gold*).

*Even though ML provided Gold 1/2, it appears the Multi IQ profile is the same for both Gold modes with the only apparent difference being the default recovery speed setting between the two.