White's TDI Learning Curve

Recently got this tdi, have studied over and over everything I could get my hands on to gain a little knowlege of this PI. I have only hunted 3 times so far(6hrs.maybe) what a cool, machine never been around them but wanted to try one. First time out was overwelming, almost, wrote everythig down I did.

2nd. Time out was getting to understand it now, alot of experimenting found 8 coins and a lot of you name it.running in all full gain pulse 10 in this ground gb about 8. Wasnt sure if I had brought a long enough shovel for it's capability, wished I had a tape I dug 2 beer cans burried easily24 inches first 6 or 8 inches was dirt and rock then pure wet sand.It would have hit these even deeper, you guys that run these already

now that. Trying to teach myself the different variations of targets, gonna take time for sure.

Have a few questions I hope to get some answers to. By the way I ran 2 coils experimenting.(7.5-12")

I did some air tests with some nuggets I have found with gb2, apparently the current doesnt hold well on porres nuggets under 6 grams, maybe my settings, but I tried with it set full power and didnt get much response on the porres, I think I read it cant hold current very well on targets like these, is that true and to what extent? Havent got to do any under ground testing yet ground still muddy and frozen.

Thanks for any input here rick

I want to take this to the desert shortly, now wondering if it will still go very deep on these big nuggets

that could be over half ounce we now there are more here, just want some input on this dellima.

just hoped it would go deeper than gb2 that have found several BIGnuggets here.

Hi Rick,

As I alluded to at http://www.detectorprospector.com/forum/topic/45-lots-of-gold-found-with-the-whites-tdi/?p=488 any PI detector will not do well on porous specimen gold. In theory you could have a one ounce specimen and if the gold is perfectly dispersed through the rock a PI detector will not pick it up. You saw my GPX 5000 find nothing until I switched to my GMT to get a couple small specimens. The TDI has the same problem.

There is no way of knowing exactly how specimen gold will react. It just depends on how much the gold is lumped up in the rock. You need a solid mass in there somewhere. Until they make a detector that can do everything in places like you have you pretty much have to hunt everything at least twice - once with a PI, and once with a hot VLF.

Specimen gold reads the same as a hot rock to a PI. What makes a PI great is it ignores most hot rocks, but you lose some gold in the process. It is possible to make a PI that will hit the tiny gold or specimen gold, but then it would also act just like a VLF detector and hit hot rocks. It is all a trade off and there is no free ride.

If it makes you feel any better I have faith there is big stuff in your area it will take a PI to get, but they are very rare. So hunting a day or two and finding nothing is just the way it is. A hot VLF will get more finds more regularly where you are.

Edited-Posting the same time as Steve and he explained it better. Good luck on that porous gold Rick.

Thanks guys for input,

I was afraid you might tell me this steve but I do have hopes for this unit still , there has been several 1 oz. And bigger pulled from here but I dont know how porres they all have been.my hopes are high and untill

I get sufficient enough with this to know the difference. I may be heading down there rain or shine just to put some serious time in on this machine anyway, im still carrying my gb in my pack with me though.

thanks goldbrick also, sweeping is another thing that needs to be correct sounds like. I might be gong down in a couple days steve if your bored and want to get wet your sure welcome.