Gold Nugget Hunting - Dead, Sick, Healthy, Thriving?

Thanks Bob, we never know what the season holds in store. Last year was almost a complete washout with endless rainfalls of biblical proportions, eventually followed by cold and snow. I had felt lucky to get out of that area with my camper in tow. This year I have no presentiment of good luck, so I suppose we’ll have to work at it and hope for the best. No matter… I enjoy that environment, and thoroughly enjoy detecting for rocks. It is the one thing, besides fly-fishing, that has remained an avid lifetime interest.

I’ll see about writing you a good long letter about the trip within a month or so of returning home. Hope you have experienced a good, solid season to date. All the very best to you and the family, and so long for now.

Jim.

Hi fellow goldzillas hope you don't mind me chipping in.

Just getting ready to head up into the Golden triangle here in Victoria for a day hunt , and whilst there is no doubt the old yellow is getting harder to find I reckon there is still some decent lumps out there.

For me personally if your a Z driver it is about having the faith to pick your ground and run in deep all day, if your going to bother swinging that lump of lead around all day I feel you might as well make the most of it after all ,the difference in success or failure on decent size gold is measured only in millimetres.

Great site and very helpful forum. Wish you luck , cheers .

Chris. Geelong.

• Like 1

"I spend the other day swing the ATX with the 20" coil (all day long) on a 60 degree slope in 102 degree temp."

" think I was nugget hunting..... I don't know. I didn't find any."   - Lipca

Now I feel better knowing I am not the only one doing the very same as you !!! Looking for float and nuggets on a slope at a 100 degrees....and all I found was lead and trash...you gotta love it. The easy stuff may not be as common as it may have been in the past...but I still believe its available for those that work just a little harder. Todays forecast 100.....it will be a beautiful day  .. :blink:

• Like 1

"I spend the other day swing the ATX with the 20" coil (all day long) on a 60 degree slope in 102 degree temp."

" think I was nugget hunting..... I don't know. I didn't find any." - Lipca

Now I feel better knowing I am not the only one doing the very same as you !!! Looking for float and nuggets on a slope at a 100 degrees....and all I found was lead and trash...you gotta love it. The easy stuff may not be as common as it may have been in the past...but I still believe its available for those that work just a little harder. Todays forecast 100.....it will be a beautiful day .. :blink:

I was out yesterday in Arizona swingin' my Z in 90 degree, muggy high humidity weather made worse by the monsoon rains. Was out for about 7 hours, covered head to toe in dirt and mud, I looked like a real miner :)

Managed to dig up a little 1 grammer in a spot I've been striking out at for months. Couldn't be happier. Rekindled my faith in the area and was enough to keep me pushing on.

• Like 6

Hey Lipca, if it makes you feel better, one of the next roofs Im installing, is 60 degrees...so get to spend a week on it, and pretty sure I wont find any nuggets,lol.

Back on topic, Nuggetshooting is not my number one form of detecting, but I do enjoy it alot. That said, if a greenhorn like me can find unhit spots, theres gotta be alot out there. Around here, at least with the guys I know, everyone seems to zero in on pits and bedrock streams...its the other areas that my guess are unhammered.

• Like 1

I was out yesterday in Arizona swingin' my Z in 90 degree, muggy high humidity weather made worse by the monsoon rains. Was out for about 7 hours, covered head to toe in dirt and mud, I looked like a real miner :)

Managed to dig up a little 1 grammer in a spot I've been striking out at for months. Couldn't be happier. Rekindled my faith in the area and was enough to keep me pushing on.

Perhaps time to drag in a drywasher to the spot of that one gramer and mop up his "minions" that are likely about