Anyone Know How To ID These Hallmarks?

I found this ring with amber stone while detecting in a park a couple weeks ago.  The park was established in the early to mid 1950's, and previously it was a pasture.  I certainly don't know when this was dropped but I think it may be old.  It was only about 3 inches deep, but other targets in the general area (e.g. bullet casings) indicated that area had not been re-landscaped, likely ever.  Sorry for my poor photography -- the red background I chose has polluted the color of the ring.

amber_ring.thumb.JPG.2d0711be6d7041afb5e182d590d5a3ed.JPG

A friend with a high quality camera shot some photos of the hallmarks, which were actually on the outside surface of the ring -- not where I'm used to finding markings.

Amber_ring_hallmarks.thumb.jpg.1766f068d9b78f21aa319f056725d041.jpg

Because the ring surface isn't flat, you can see that the middle mark is out of focus, but I think it is simply '925' with the numeral 9 not having been stamped well.  I think the left mark is either 'MI' or 'IW'.  The rightmost mark is the most interesting.  This one is actually upside down in the photo.  Again there is a '925' but the other two inscriptions are what I'm especially curious about.  Can anyone help with either the 'MI'/'IW' mark or the multi-icon RH mark?

• Like 1

Anytime you see 925 it’s just saying sterling silver. It’s 925 pure silver.

Some of the other stamps may be the company who made it.

Chuck 

GB check this site, it might be English

http://www.silvercollection.it/englishsilvermarksXIWWW.html

• Like 1

stone might be carnelian hard to tell from my couch.

7 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

I certainly don't know when this was dropped but I think it may be old. 

That appears to be from the late 50's to early 60's. The maker is from a  Armenian jewelry manufacture which is now out of business. They closed their doors in early 1973 and at that time only had silver necklaces left.

You are correct that it is Amber and it is from their region, that is why it is a deeper color.

The ring was sold as a set, with earrings, and a necklace.

The reason there are 2 markings for the silver content is because the maker had to place their mark and then the government had placed theirs. It was a way for the government to keep track of the precious metals at the time and make sure there were honest people making the jewelry.

Fair market price is around $100.00 because of it's age only.

Great find on the ring, but as you know it was a set do you need to go find the rest of it.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, 2Valen said:

That appears to be from the late 50's to early 60's. The maker is from a  Armenian jewelry manufacture which is now out of business. They closed their doors in early 1973 and at that time only had silver necklaces left.

You are correct that it is Amber and it is from their region, that is why it is a deeper color.

The ring was sold as a set, with earrings, and a necklace.

The reason there are 2 markings for the silver content is because the maker had to place their mark and then the government had placed theirs. It was a way for the government to keep track of the precious metals at the time and make sure there were honest people making the jewelry.

Fair market price is around $100.00 because of it's age only.

Great find on the ring, but as you know it was a set do you need to go find the rest of it.

Wow, I didn't expect that kind of response!  You really know your antiques.  My wife has it now.  Still a long way from 'paying' for my detectors, but that's not why I detect.  It's the anticipation, the fun, the mystery, the satisfaction, the camaraderie.  You can't put a price on those.

The winter seems to have departed here, at least for the next 10 days.  Supposed to be ~60 F today.  I may have to share the school-grounds with others who have been suffereing from cabin fever, but I'll take it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

The winter seems to have departed here, at least for the next 10 days.  Supposed to be ~60 F today

Same here, and I finally got out for a while after I took the dog to the lake for a walk.

When I got back my 800 looked at me kind of funny and when I got it outside it only showed me a lawnmower bolt I had lost 10 years ago. However it was an hour outside with my detector!

Years ago, I was into the antique jewelry very heavily and learned a lot from a good friend. I sent him the pictures and he confirmed my thoughts on it. With a little polishing to the ring, I am sure that your wife will love it.

I have learned a lot about antiques over the years and I have also forgotten a lot of it also and that is why when in doubt I ask a friend who might know more than I.

Hope you had better luck than I did today.

• Like 2