Sitting here with some serious Rain going Down,, ( Cool Yeah ) :D  :D  It then started to Thunder, So In my moment of madness here indoors I decided to turn on the TDI SL, I set the frequency and cranked up the Gain flat out an not a whisper of EMI, This got me to thinking that when you are miles out in the Bush and your Mega PI's are singing like Alvin and the Chipette's  It would make good sense to have an SL with you when you have storms within the detection field of your PI that way you wont waste time in camp or have to go home and who knows you might even find a life changer,

I was going to sell my SL because I have another New machine I am going to Adopt, But after doing this today a person would be a fool not to keep it even if it is not the most powerful machine out there, because at leased I can still go detecting when the atmospherics are ruining the chances of all other machines and the price is not going to kill you and Nor is the Wife :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

I see it as a machine to finesse your kit not as a replacement like you would with coils etc,

Anyway just a thought,, john

detecting in a thunderstorm or even close to one is tempting fate...but not having a back-up detector or battery, etc is even more tempting of the gold fates...

fred

Yeah Fred, I only tried it out because people say how some machine warble a fair bit and they can hear a storm approaching and then some machines become un useable even if the storm is 100+ miles away, So it's good to know the detecting doesn't have to stop when one of my other machines gets too much

If you start getting "storm warbles" thru in the bush that's usually a good time to start watching the weather & planning your egress if necessary especially in heavily treed areas. Trust me I've been caught in a fast moving storm in an ironbark forest - dodging falling limbs & seeing jagged lightning isn't much fun. Not sure I'd be looking for another machine to continue with?

If the storms far enough away you can usually tune it to be useable but maybe not as smooth as your describing. All PI's will be susceptible to EMI though to some degree so it is very surprising that you could run the SL inside & during a thunderstorm! Good frequency tuning circuit or very low sensitivity?

• Like 1

If you start getting "storm warbles" thru in the bush that's usually a good time to start watching the weather & planning your egress if necessary especially in heavily treed areas. Trust me I've been caught in a fast moving storm in an ironbark forest - dodging falling limbs & seeing jagged lightning isn't much fun. Not sure I'd be looking for another machine to continue with?

If the storms far enough away you can usually tune it to be useable but maybe not as smooth as your describing. All PI's will be susceptible to EMI though to some degree so it is very surprising that you could run the SL inside & during a thunderstorm! Good frequency tuning circuit or very low sensitivity?

yes AM, I would not like to be out there when the storm hits, I got caught out west when a good one hit and the water comes up quick, like I said it was good to know that it behaved fairly well until the storm had passed but I would rather it passed my by 100miles/160 kms away because even at that distance they can still upset some machines, it is never going to be a Depth monster but it will give a person another option,

I had the Gain up flat out against the stop, the storm was going round where I am, But it was not as wild as the Tropical storms we have in OZ, My VLF was falsing and I had to drop it down to the preset and even then it gave the odd churp out, 

john