My 3 Days In Arizona

Great finds on areas that have been picked to death.

I guess luck and knowledge goes hand in hand when your swinging a detector. I know I feel that way sometimes and it gets me when I don't find anything except trash.

Thank you Jason for your time when I met you and this description now.

It reminds me of our Barstow area patch that had a slightly sloping surface but in some areas there was 'rotting granite' with very little quartz.  I learned to like these areas.  A couple of areas I found had a much lighter colored rock and had many nuggets around it perhaps because some people didn't target it as opposed to other color choices for gridding.  They produced for me.

I'll keep in mind the above description when exploring in the future.

Mitchel

2 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Maybe you have.....& threw it away as a hot rock.😄

Nice finds Mitchel......I guess. For some reason meteorites don't excite me like gold does. Maybe it is because they aren't that nice to look at (to me).....like gold is. 

JW🤠

I have to agree with you on that one, JW. It is that 'aha' moment when you get a nugget in the scoop, always recognizable beyond a doubt and reason for instant jubilation (I often do the Walter Huston dance if nobody is looking...). On the other hand, with meteoroids you might not know right away if it is one or not, so not much of an "aha" moment (more of a head scratcher), unless of course you are truly an expert in meteoroids (which I am not).

• Like 1

Mitchel knows the sound and appearance of Franconia, Gold Basins and small irons.

If you have come to recognize your Usual Hotrocks for your area, anything different bares checking...just a hint.
Btw once they hit the dirt the are Meteorites...

fred

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, kiwijw said:

Nice finds Mitchel......I guess. For some reason meteorites don't excite me like gold does. Maybe it is because they aren't that nice to look at (to me).....like gold is. 

JW,

You are quite like many people I know.  Gold is superior to meteorites in my book too.

I will tell you that this picture of this meteorite is not very good.  A few years ago when I had a light box set up I could take some better pictures.  You can really see the surfaces on some of the meteorites.  They kinda come to life and each one of them has a personality and character of their own.  (Not all nuggets are worth keeping but the resulting crushup is worth it!)

Fred has sliced and polished a few meteorites and enhanced them even more.  This makes me want to get more involved with finding crystals and minerals, opals, agates and diamonds.  All of that would take time away from finding the few nuggets that are left.  haha

Mitchel

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fredmason said:

Btw once they hit the dirt the are Meteorites...

fred

Thanks Fred! Never knew there was any difference. 🙂

• Like 1