Jp’s Gold Thread

Hey Gold catcher, I do not think that the 19 inch coil with surface rubbish Would go away. Now we are all trying to get the gold quickly but I personally believe the best way would be to go over the area first with a smaller coil like the SDC. It’s easier to maneuver vs dealing with the bulky detector and quicker to dig.  Then go back through with the 14 slowly.  Follow that up with the 19.  I don’t try to go back with the 19 until I’ve cover the area very thoroughly with the 14 because the 19 is just a beast to carry and the holes that it produces can be deep.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, afreakofnature said:

Hey Gold catcher, I do not think that the 19 inch coil with surface rubbish Would go away.

Thanks, yes this is always the best way to go. Assuming though you are close to your vehicle. I have done hikes with the SDC in my backpack and the GPZ resting on my shoulders, but this can be quite tiring 🙂 

I would bet those of us with cameras with us as we are out, might be able to also post the subtle sounds that result in finding gold. That might really be a fun thread.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, flakmagnet said:

I would bet those of us with cameras with us as we are out, might be able to also post the subtle sounds that result in finding gold. That might really be a fun thread.

Great idea!

On 3/13/2020 at 1:15 PM, flakmagnet said:

Isn't the potato trick also good when you have mercury coating the gold? The mercury absorbs into the potato.

I strongly recommend people do NOT do this with any gold that has mercury attached it is extremely dangerous. Mercury is liquid or molten at room temperature which means it’s extremely volatile if its temperature rises much above that, the gases given off are easily ingested or absorbed through the skin potentially leading to heavy metal poisoning.

The method used for potato retorting is similar to making bush buttons but both halves are used with a divot cut into one, the amalgam is placed into the divot between the two halves then the potato is wired closed then placed into the coals of a fire (Potato needs to be fresh). The mercury is driven off by the heat and absorbed into the potato. Doing it with an open potato and an oxy torch (the potato is essentially acting as a crucible) will not drive the mercury into the potato but instead up into the air you breath which is very dangerous.

JP

• Like 3

OK I have two audio files here to upload but not sure how to host them so I can embed them to make them playable within the forum. Advice required for both audio mp3 files and video files please.

JP

JP, an easy way is to start a YouTube account and upload your video or audio there. Its free, fast, and unlimited bandwidth. Then just copy and paste the link and the forum will automatically recognize it as media and embed the video into your post. I think you need to paste the full video URL (youtube.com) and not the link shortened one it gives you for the forum to recognize it though. Bonus is you can make a bit of income posting videos too if you get above 10,000 subs or so.

The avoiding small bits of wire and tin via using extra deep kinda works. You'll hit some small trash but it cuts some out too. Its like using salt coarse timing on a 4500 in the Chemehuevis to avoid the tiny wire bits from the WW2 target practice,which was the only way I ever had enough patience to detect out there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/9/2020 at 2:02 PM, Jonathan Porter said:

A big part of detecting is the psychology, putting a few bits into your jar no matter how small is always better than going home empty handed.

JP,  I am so impressed with the time you take to not only teach yourself the GPZ, but actually do photos to catch the moment, surface ground type, approx depth, soil condition the gold is in...and of course the yellow stuff we all dream of.  Then to top it off, you again take more time and share your field experiences.  You are 1 in million my friend and a great asset to Minelab and DP.

So many people think a certain timing is the golden ticket, but even the ones my Field Staff and I share with customers, are really just starters.   I have my Rye Patch favorite timings, but when I arrive and if the soil moisture content is different, then I'm trying to compromise and need to make adjustments.  I let my ears tell me when it is right, or as close to it.

Learning the GPZ - Oh my..what a session that will be for some time.  Heck, Lunk and I are still finding ways to get more ( either depth, cleaner signal response, smoother threshold, or sensitivity) out of certain conditions and or for size/density of gold.  There are just so many variables and or unknowns. I remember when 7000 came out, there were a few folks (good GPX hunters) who jumped ship of the 7000 because they did some testing/comparing and got spooked of their results on a certain density and size of nugget, not realizing in reality there are timings for those few pieces.  I think a couple of those folks have also come to the conclusion, there is more to the Zed and its abilities than just a couple tests at a site with a few pieces of gold.  Even with my own staff, our desired settings and how we run the 7000 is different than when it first came out. 

I do wish other Training would offer the hands on you mentioned.  My staff and I also like to plug 2 people into 1 machine and we'll run it at first so they see/hear what slows us down, what we ignore and or investigate.  We don't worry about loud targets often, as anyone can find those.  Teaching customers to hear the faint signals most others miss, is usually what will put Au in the scrotum pouch.

Self-confidence in one's ability with their detector is half the battle. Your psychology mention is spot on and even if a beginner goes home with 1 bit, that person is slowly learning from each piece of gold recovered. 

I sure don't know how you manage it all, but do enjoy reading your nuggets of info.  Sorry if I don't get on here enough and tell you more often.

On a side note.  Hopefully some day Minelab will get you back USA and I am most certain we could put something together at Rye Patch area.  Heck, even if Minelab would not flip the bill, there are enough DP readers who would pitch in, we'd certainly get the airfare taken care of.  Now that would be a fun 3 day event.

Thanks again Mr. 1 in a million...and hats off to continuing thread of said ZED Nugget Knowledge.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jonathan Porter said:

OK I have two audio files here to upload but not sure how to host them so I can embed them to make them playable within the forum. Advice required for both audio mp3 files and video files please.

JP

Perhaps Steve might be up for helping us get this new style thread of audio up and running. I, sadly do not know how to do it.