Cold Day Out With New 9 Inch Concentric

Forced myself to go out in the 38 degree + 20 mph winds to do some testing on the new 9 inch concentric. First place was an old park near my since passed grandfathers house I haven't been there since I was 11. I only brought a screw driver to dig, and didn't want to get in trouble even though the park rules didn't mention detectors. I really couldn't dig any deep targets but the 9 seemed a little off. I was hitting iron nails in the 60's +, not all the time though. Ran 5 - 14 - 19 khz It seems settle itself in 14. Tried multiple settings of disc. and gain in each khz. This 9'' almost runs like a DD which has me wondering if its not a true concentric? I'll get a 15 to 20 reading. spin get a 45 to 54 reading, spin again and get a 4 to 7 reading, Also was getting a pretty good sized halo effect on most targets.  I'm not sure if this is some of my red clay soils causing this, plus it was extremely wet. I'll dig the target and get foil most of the time. I understand that running for silver and gold will get you to dig most targets. Has no problems with the clad signals but copper seems a little weird. If you run the gain in the 80's you loose a lot of depth, most times I was sticking to 92+ gain. Off to the next spot, 10 miles away. Pretty much the same thing, weird copper signals, clad good and the halo effect. This could be user error, I'm very new to this type of machine but I'm not getting this from the 7x11 DD. But both coils unmasking ability is incredible!! First photo park finds, Second photos are the last site, notice the clads that are fused together a clad penny and nickle and 2 quarters and a penny this MK could tell that they were 2 coins and 3 coins together, they all registered as separate targets (not used to that). Did anyone feel like they lost a little confidence in a coil when they first tried it? Not overly disappointed, but think more practice might be in order. Any Thoughts?

IMG_0350.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

• Like 3

Love the way those coins are stuck together!! Looks like a good day out! Even on the worse days we feel better just getting out. Good Luck on your next outing!

If you run the concentric try using the MK in 19khz  and 3 tone mode. Also drop the gain down 70 or less and it should be super easy for park hunting. My Tejon is just shy of 18khz and I use a concentric of similar size in parks. Walk right over flat without skipping anything good.

14 hours ago, dogodog said:

Has no problems with the clad signals but copper seems a little weird.

Could you be more specific on what you mean by 'clad' and 'copper'?  I know a lot of people smeer 'clad' to mean other than actual (in USA) 75-25 copper-nickel layers on a pure copper base (post-1964 USA dimes, quarter, halves, and some of the dollars).  Those should read very similar to 95% copper pennies (prior to 1982 mintage).  Specifically clad dimes and 'copper' (technically bronze and in the later years, brass) pennies give very close to the same TID response on my detectors.

I can't help you with sorting out the differences between the performances of the various MultiKruzer coils since I don't have one of those units, but I bet others here can.

BTW, that 2-tined object in your first photo looks like a ball-mark repair tool carried by golfers.  I don't know when those came into use, but hopfully yours is an antique version.

Are any of those dimes in the photo pre-1965?

• Like 1

No pre 65 but one 1967. the year I was born. Your correct it is a turf repair tool, but it's a zinc modern version. The clad copper thing is what I'm calling more modern coins vs wheat penny's. I just spent the last 3 hours running a test area on this coil. I believe I have this running pretty good now. I made a couple of major changes that do not work on the DD. But for the 9 inch this is where I ended up.

I'm in 3 tone

Gain - 86                  Fe. Vol. - N2                   iSAT -0

Disc - 05                  T. Break -04 to 70

Notch - 01               Tone  15 - 70 - 50

I set up 15 different targets ranging from old nails, foil, shotshell case, silver dime, clad coins, silver ring, gold ring, gold chain, 1908 gold coin, wheat penny, Pull tabs (3 kinds), Brass buckle. I put all said items on the ground and tested in each KHZ and with different settings. I then logged all my tone numbers for each and logged my perceived sounds as high, low or mid tone. After all that work the above program seems to take a lot of my problems away. I know that this an air test so to speak but it beats trying to do this while your trying to find something. hopefully its just minor tweaking after that. Also it wipes the iron nails out, which I want to do on a couple of sites.

Kac, I found in my areas if I drop the gain to under 80 I'll loose 4 inches in depth, and between 85 and 90 I loose an inch plus    

• Like 1