Eq Pin Pointing Number?

Maybe I missed it in the manual, but when pinpointing a target on my EQ800, there's a number in the center of the screen displayed, it's different than the initial TID#.  What does the value indicate?  

It is the last target ID number that was registered by the Equinox just before you pressed the pinpoint button. It is not a new target ID number that is supposed to be a more accurate ID for the target like on some other detectors I've used that were often not accurate at all.

Jeff

• Like 2

Thanks Jeff.  That's interesting, because it is almost (maybe never) the same as the actual target ID.  I'll have to play around with it and see if I can determine what's going on, thanks again.

1 hour ago, Cal_Cobra said:

when pinpointing a target on my EQ800, there's a number in the center of the screen displayed, it's different than the initial TID#. 

Don't feel bad I have wondered the same thing myself as I have had it so many times I can't count them all.

Thanks Jeff for clearing it up for me also.

• Like 1

As far as I could figure it out, you need to hit pinpoint button at a right time to lock the ID. Whether the PP mode then pinpoints according to TID, not sure. Sometimes it does, other times it pinpoints to whatever metal nearby.

I ignore both the TID and the depth indicator when in pinpoint mode.  AFAIK those features only apply to search mode operation -- specifically when pinpoint is not activated.

I suppose one could argue that if they have no meaning when in pinpoint, why are they even displayed.  🤷‍♂️  Maybe a future software update will address that, but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 2

I have a note from a friend who swears that he is able to use that number to identify some trash items more accurately. I'll have to experiment with it myself as I've never paid attention to it. Half the time I never even engage the pinpoint button as I do well just eyeballing the beeps and digging.

• Like 3

I just figured the number had to mean something.  It doesn't say anything in the manual about it in the pinpointing section when I double checked it the other day (unless it's in another section other then the area that describes how to use the pinpoint feature).

I hear you Steve, I could probably not use it and go old school, but it's ingrained into my subconscious search and recovery MO, so I just do it.  I actually like that the PP audio is modulated for deeper targets and I have to admit I get a bit of a thrill when I get a high TID, with that muted silver tinkle audio, and if the PP doesn't produce audio, I'm betting (hoping) it'll be a deep silver coin ha ha 

• Like 1

The TID numbers stay on the display for something like 2 seconds along with the depth reading. I have waited on purpose until the TID number has changed to -- -- before pinpointing and when pinpointing the display still says -- --.

This is from the manual in the Pinpoint section and describes STEP 1:

Pinpointing a Target

1. Press the Pinpoint/Detect button to enter Pinpoint. The Pinpoint icon will appear at the top centre of

the LCD.

The Target ID of the detected target will remain on the Target ID Display and the depth indicator will show its approximate depth.

So, that is the only reference that I could find relating to what is displayed during use of the pinpoint function. The Target ID will only remain on the display if you press the pinpoint button within 2 seconds of the last time it was detected.

Jeff

• Like 5

Agree with Jeff, It's just a latch of the TID on the screen at the instant when you press the PP button  Basically meaningless once you engage PP because as Jeff says, it doesn't change once latched even if you move on to another target while PP is engaged.  Especially true if the TID is jumping around which it usually does because I engage PP only when the coil is off to the side of the target and if it's changed due to an adjacent target or falsing off the end of a ferrous target, so be it.  It still apparently pinpoints the intended target with the same sensitivity regardless of what number latches on the screen.  Just another one of Equinox's quirks AFAIAC.

• Like 1