Well today I had the rare chance to get out for a sort time and do some hunting.

Just as I was walking out the door my wife tells me to take the dog with me. This is a small dog who is hyper as a butterfly in a wind tunnel.

All the way to the ball field I wanted to try Rusty was being very good the whole time, and I am thinking that just maybe he was going to be good.

When we arrived at the ball field he stayed close to me as I retrieved the old Tracker IV out of the trunk. I started to head to the field and he takes off like a rocket.

I let him run for just a couple of minutes while I got the detector ready to start swinging. I called him over and to my surprise he came running back, and I am thinking that he is finally going to be good. I start walking in the direction that I had been wanting to search and get a wonderful tone sounding in my ears. I start digging my hole and look to see where Rusty is and he is on the other side of the field. I call him back again, tell him to sit, and start digging again. I pull out a dime (1967) try to show Rusty what I found and to my surprise he's gone again.

Once again I look for the darn dog, and now this time he is on the opposite side of the field, so I call him again and he comes back.

Fill in the hole and stand up.

Now where is that dog? Yep he is on the other side of the field again and it wasn't 20 seconds since I last saw him.

This time when he gets back I really scold him and I thought he got the message.

Nope he didn't, just as I have another target to dig, so I stick my sod cutter i the ground to mark the spot to dig.

I get Rusty to come back to me and we start walking back to the car so maybe I can find a leash for him.

I look down at him and in his mouth is my sod cutter. Yep he pulled it out of the ground and carried it back to the car.

I put him in the car with the windows half way down and walk about 30 feet away from the car and hit another good sounding tone, another dime about 6 inches deep.

This one was a 1983, but in usable condition, nothing special about it just dirty and slightly tarnished.

Within another 6 feet a really good sound that I had to dig, but it came out to be a Falstaff beer bottle cap.

By this time Rusty is crying so bad I let him out and he really tried to stay by me until I found another target which turned out to be a soda can.

Needless to say it was a very short hunt as I gave up after only 25 minutes. Lesson of this story is that never listen to the wife and never take the dog again.

The old tracker does find good targets and junk so you never know just what will show up.

bounty-hunter-tracker-iv-metal-detector.jpg
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV metal detector

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Owner's Manual

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Great story!

I also enjoy my outings with one of my 3 Tracker IV units.  I have a different coil mounted to each one.  They keep the “fun” in my detecting.  It was my first machine almost 20 years ago, and never fails me.

It is what I grab for shallow jewelry hunting at the soccer fields.  None of my 19 other machines can do things exactly like it.

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Re-upping this thread per having a Bounty Hunter Tracker IV I'm putting up in our garage sale tomorrow. I'll be curious to see what the level of interest is...

I purchased this one late fall 2017 for just over $60 in an Amazon special deal. It was right after I purchased the Garrett Ace 400 for myself (1st detector), w/the idea the Bounty Hunter would be something our boys could play with. They did play with it a bit, but didn't gravitate to the hobby much...besides the digging holes part. 🙂 

Anyways, I still feel it's a nice machine, easy to work with, and finds targets.

I too have enjoyed using a tracker IV, especially in iron laden sites. It has great recovery and disc. I still look for them in the $50 range, play around with it for a while, and resell again. I still have an adapter that allows you to use screw on coils with any Bounty Hunter metal detector 

3 hours ago, ☠ Cipher said:

I still look for them in the $50 range, play around with it for a while, and resell again.

Oh man, I should have asked for more! I ended up selling the BH Tracker IV for $35 at our garage sale yesterday. The guy who bought it was real excited because he said his daugther has been begging for a metal detector, but they're just too expensive.

I also put up my Garrett Ace 400 for $119 at garage sale. Got a lot of questions, but nobody interested at that price point. AOK by me because I still want it to keep around for the kids to play with, should they get in a detecting mood. I feel like the resell value for the prior generation of entry level machines should be taking a hit per the Simplex and X-Terra Pro models.

Regardless, I'm still happy to support a new user getting into the hobby!