Is Gpex Forum Gone?

OFS

I know that this may not be the correct location but there are a few members here that frequented GPEX.

I am just wondering if anybody has any information as to why the forum is down, I have a sinking feeling that it has met it's maker but am hoping that I am wrong.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately it is looking like GPEX is in fact gone, the forum has been offline now for 2 weeks and there has been no email response from the site administrator.

The amount of traffic has steadily declined over the last 4 years, or so. I've been amazed it was still going. Not at all surprised if it closed.

Jim

Well I’m sure you’d know better about that than I Jim. I’m just going by the visitor traffic figures as reported by Alexa, not forum user levels, which are two different things. The visitor traffic is high enough to indicate potential value if monetized properly, and that in turn means buyers could have been found. What they did in internet terms is akin to burning your house down instead of selling it.

• Like 1

I hear you, Steve. I know nothing of what happened. For all we know, he might have tried to sell it. I also don't know about the visitor traffic levels. I just know the number of posts, and information available, had severely declined the last 4 years. I imagine people visited, found little of interest, and moved on. I've been checking in there at least twice/day for years, but rarely posted because there was little to respond to, and not much I found interesting. Most of the really knowledgeable people, who enjoyed sharing their know-how with others, quit the site years back, at least IMHO.

Jim

• Like 1

I never used the site.  What was it about?

I had been on a site posting for my first years detecting and then most of the data was dumped which included several years of my almost daily beach finds.  Recently I looked at the site and a few selective threads remain but it is not a site I go to any more or a dealer I'll buy from.  It leaves a hole in you if you have been a contributor because you can't 're-live' the threads.

I'm hoping that the content on DP will last.

It was a good site, once. Mainly directed at Canada, but  much good, general info on gold mining and prospecting. Lots of info on gold geology, etc. They also had an extensive library of DIY plans and ideas for building your own equipment. The heyday was when gold prices were fairly high. The site sort of slowly died as the price declined from the highs of 2011, and then stayed relatively stable. That's the nature of the interest in gold prospecting/mining.

Jim

If you want to look at some of its past go here:

https://web.archive.org/web/2019*/gpex.ca

• The title was changed to Is Gpex Forum Gone?