Let Me Order Factory Direct And Get The Coil I Want

5 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Totally agree. However, as one of the "good dealers" for many year I know how I and other good dealers suffered from manufacturers setting up literally any Tom, Dick, or Harry who wants to be a dealer with almost no investment in having a real business. I had a building, rent, utilities, employees, and a very deep on hand stock, and some of the best service in the industry. I NEVER sent people to the manufacturer. If you were my customer, I took care of you, period.

Then the manufacturer happily sets up a dealer six blocks away working out of his garage with no stock, overhead, or investment. Just a website, and generally someone who thinks selling a detector for $50 over cost is big bucks.

Big box stores are not a problem as they adhere to the pricing rules. It's the guy that sets himself up as dealer for the local club giving them all machines at cost plus $20 that kills the good dealers.

Do I sound bitter? Maybe a little. The bottom line is I am a huge advocate for dealer standards set by manufacturers. Such standards support dealers who are willing to invest in the business in a real way, and I am all about supporting good dealers. The know nothing drop shippers who send every customer with a problem straight to the manufacture or the good dealer or this website looking for answers... I've nothing but scorn for that crowd. And ultimately for the manufacturers that set them up and allow them to exist. The manufactures only give lip service to independent dealers but do nothing real to actually support the best of them. Tesoro was the only company that was truly real about that, and that went away the minute Jack passed away. I guess White's kind of tried in their own weird way but that was more about some insiders using policies to support themselves than actually looking out for all the dealers. Minelab once put a dealer standards program in place that lasted all of six months before it was axed.

Steve I completely understand your point of view here. It is what the manufacturers have created though. Why idk. I would love to see a standard price for every dealer. Big Box stores are no better. Hell you can go look on eBay and see some big dealers selling brand new with a best offer option. Also most of the big name stores have dealers working for them and will sell under cost. Call and see for yourself, they don't adhere to the pricing rules anymore than that guy down the street selling from his computer.  A lot of it is not the manufactures fault either. The hobby itself I think is in trouble and has forced things to take a different turn. Its not all bad though. This way has allowed manufacturers to do promotional stuff more and more without actually hurting dealers. Take the new Nokta/Makro promo for example. Maybe I fit the bill of just another no name drop shipper? I will say if you buy from me I will go out of my way to make things right. Even if I have to pay out of my own pocket. I recently had a customer that bought a new anfibio. The day it arrived he told me that upper cam lock was messed up and it had a horrible wobble. The service center just kept giving him the run around. I made sure he had new parts sent out right away. Is still a few good ones around. Not all hope is lost 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geotech said:

I once pitched to White's the idea of custom detectors. To demonstrate, I made a Garnet-and-Gold (FSU) Vision/V3

That’s awesome Carl.... nice to know there is at least one person on the inside with some “Vision” :smile:

• Like 2

13 hours ago, phrunt said:

...and the Gold Bug Pro with the 10x5"...

They did that and called it the 'Fisher F19'.  And Steve H. says the manufacturers never listen to him.  😄

When I bought my GB_Pro I considered getting the F19 (thanks at least in part to Steve's influence) but I couldn't stomach the camo decoration.  (I got the GB_Pro two coil package -- both the 5" round and 5"x10".)  This was before they came out with the Plain Jane F19 version (which was $50 cheaper?!).  I know some people are less bothered by cosmetics -- guess I'm not one of them.  Oh, and that teaser Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Pro (still not announced :sad:) -- apparently an F19 with the 7"x11" coil but in blue -- now that's a good looking detector, IMO, if it ever teleports from virtual to real, that is.  And while we're wishing upon a star, maybe they could sell that with the choice of 5"x10" coil or 7" x 11" coil as they apparently have done with the F19.

I love the both of those Vision boxes!!!!!   

I would love to be able to order custom coils......like a 4" x18" DD.    I want one right this very second for my F75 LTD.   I'd pay a premium for it too.  I don't care.   I just NEED that coil. 

I need it 

I need it

I need it.

I NEED IT

HH
Mike