X Coils In The Q

Great post, Jason. Just goes to show there is still good gold to be found in Q for the dedicated detectorist...well done!

• Like 2

Great hunting and great writing about it. Glad to see you find the nice shiny stuff on your trip, won't your girlfriend be happy now.

• Like 1

Well done.  More time needed.  😁

Mitchel

• Like 1

Great write-up Jason. You have a great way of sharing your experiences and your conclusions. Glad to know you are out and about, we always benefit.

• Like 3

Thanks everyone! Definitely need to take a full trip down there at some point with the Z+X. I have a few other spots I haven't visited since 4500 days, but they will require a full day of driving/hiking/detecting. Unfortunately a lot of old areas I found good gold in have new claims over them now there though.

Phrunt - not sure about the spiral vs bundle and the edge sensitivity, but that might be what's going on. However, I know when I was running my 12" spiral wound coil in the washes though that it seemed a lot more sensitive along the outer edges than the 17x12 elliptical does.  My 17" round is spiral wound too and it's pretty sensitive along the outer rim, it'll tag 0.1 grammers no problem out there. 

If that bedrock stuff was the bulk of my detecting I'd probably lean towards the 10" or 12" rounds just because they seem more sensitive on the edges. I should have tested a few targets over Mitchel's 15x10 when he was here to see what sort of hot spot pattern it has compared to the 17x12.

I'll come back!  haha  How long will you be there?

Jason, 

Glad to see you back on the gold! Great story and explanation on the X coil operation at Quartzsite. How do you think the 17" x 12" will run in Northern NV with wet, salty ground?

Bill