X Coils In The Q

6 hours ago, Norvic said:

Just of interest what % of what you`ve found is from "flogged" patches compared to virgin patches. 

Probably about 80% for me. But it's not going to continue, too much population too close to the goldfields here in the US means virgin ground is almost non existent today. That's why I'm concentrating more on finding and selling large scale hard rock prospects to companies now, almost no prospectors do this here in the US and so my competition is basically non existent. I believe this is the only way to actually make money prospecting in the US today.

Without a doubt though, for raw production, there is no substitute for working virgin ground, if a person can find it.

There are some borderline case patches from 4500/5000 days which I found right in flogged areas because people (including detecting veterans) were insisting online about running in Fine Gold and very low gains in mild ground with deep bigger nuggets, as was the advice on the US forums back then. It was "flogged ground", but not really flogged. 

That said, I just found a mini-patch this week that my 17X was definitely the first over. Nothing amazing, but they are still out there , even though I really not too fond of that phrase these days here in the US.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks Jasong, downunder in my part of OZ particularly on private land there are still virgin patches to be found, problem for me is as one ages legs seem to grow the same length and that slows one down in this rugged part of OZ.😉

Yes as you found with the GPX days, "popular" settings are not the go for production. The GPZ is the same to me and although to cover ground in "search virgin patch mode" difficult and auto/semi auto maybe the go. To really make the Z sing I forget all the "popular" settings and simply set in manual GB with use of the QT button when needed, normal when possible (mainly in creeks). Probably if you`ve used auto tracking on the PIs/VLFs most of the time this will take some time to get into but I`d learnt back in the VLF/PI tracking detectors to go with manual GB most of the time, thus doing so on the Z has not been a big deal, slows you down a bit but you`ve obviously got the coil control down to pat. Extra deep also is what it says it is I`ve found, not the popular thought that it has no use. Oh but tis a good idea to  turn off those pesky notifications if you are moving around the GB modes, JP reminds me how to do that each time I upgrade my software.😉

• Like 2