Third Seated 1/2 From Same Area

Beautiful finds, and I really hope you dig some more of them. Love seeing that history come back to life.

Great find, Paul!  Just from what you've shown, pre-washed, the condition (lines on shield, feathers on eagle) looks quite high.  Makes you wonder if the soldiers were paid with half dollars, and how many days pay 50 cents was back then.

Hope there's more there for you to discover.

Nice looking coin..hard to find those half dollars...heck I'm happy when I find a Kennedy half!

strick

• Like 1

Thank you 2Valen, GB-Amateur, Strick, Beat up, Denny and Steve,

Yesterday’s seated half find has more wear than the just dug picture shows, same with the first 1861 seated half find from here and it has plow damage. I nicked yesterday’s 1862 half with the shovel, David’s 1863 seated half is in much better condition from my two seated half’s from this area. 

Denny,  That’s what I keep saying to myself,  surely a seated 1/2 dime or seated dime should surface. Although The town is short lived, it’s old enough and was off the main Fremont trail.  Next time you come down,  let’s focus in that particular area surely more coins in there.

Going to add pieces of the puzzle, how the second town of Woodsville finally surfaced. Took 11 years to finally find this lost 1853-1869) town,  Denny is a great contributor and has helped enormously with my research. He’s no stranger to this area,  he too has permission from the property owner to detect this enormous property which has three historical sites hidden from history. Our finds are in our Country historical museum, a big thanks to Denny for being there. 

The clues to finding this second town of Woodsville, mentions it was 1/2 mile East of the original Woodsville cabin.  Well,  it wasn’t a 1/2 mile East which I finally figured out last year. And with the other pieces of puzzle, we found it. 

Thanks again everyone, and Steve a big thank you for providing us a great clean forum. And Denny,  Thank you for your continuous support!

All the best,  

Paul

9D62618E-E89F-436B-A3ED-91A2E473426F.jpeg

B8AD8D51-2115-4257-9E27-7F4F955A0380.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paul (CA) said:

Denny,  That’s what I keep saying to myself,  surely a seated 1/2 dime or seated dime should surface.

1 hour ago, Paul (CA) said:

Took 11 years to finally find this lost 1853-1869) town,  Denny is a great contributor and has helped enormously with my research.

The small coins may be tougher to find.  During and after the California Gold Rush (late 1840's and first half of 1850's), coins of any denomination were very scarce in the far west.  That's what led to the minting of private gold coins, along with the reluctance of the federal government to create a mint in California.  Further, everything was so expensive that small coins wouldn't buy much (oh, kinda like our US 1 cent pieces today...).  When the San Francisco Mint was finally built they cranked out 20$ gold pieces and half dollars at a much greater rate than other denominations.  Even during the 1860's, there were about 5 to 10 times as many half dollars (ditto the $20 'double eagles') minted in SF than either half dimes or dimes (or quarters).

Now, the good news is there may be a gold coin or two waiting for you and Denny.

• Like 1

Paul, you never cease to amaze me.   You definitely earned those seated halves !   Congratz.  

This wouldn't happen to be the same location, as the picnic site we were asking you to look into, would it ?   Nearby, but not the exact same site, right ?

Also:  Did you see the 1881 P $10 gold I just found this last weekend ?  It's on FMDF now.