Third Seated 1/2 From Same Area

9 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Thanks GB-Amateur,

Appreciate the information, very well put and  encouraging us to press forward.  Eventually, I’m sure other seated maybe be bust will surface from this particular area.  Just up the river on same property is another site, same property owner this particular site has gave up 1/2 dimes one was a Bust, one 1846 $5 gold coin surfaced two years ago, That coin went to the property owner.  Most of the remaining coins, went to our local museum. Getting another batch of finds together to hand over to the museum, another Bust and three seated coins along with relics.

Will keep the forum posted when additional finds surface, Especially anything other than 1/2 halves that will be great 😊

Thanks again,

Paul

9 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

The small coins may be tougher to find.  During and after the California Gold Rush (late 1840's and first half of 1850's), coins of any denomination were very scarce in the far west.  That's what led to the minting of private gold coins, along with the reluctance of the federal government to create a mint in California.  Further, everything was so expensive that small coins wouldn't buy much (oh, kinda like our US 1 cent pieces today...).  When the San Francisco Mint was finally built they cranked out 20$ gold pieces and half dollars at a much greater rate than other denominations.  Even during the 1860's, there were about 5 to 10 times as many half dollars (ditto the $20 'double eagles') minted in SF than either half dimes or dimes (or quarters).

Now, the good news is there may be a gold coin or two waiting for you and Denny.

5 hours ago, Tom_in_CA said:

Paul, you never cease to amaze me.   You definitely earned those seated halves !   Congratz.  

This wouldn't happen to be the same location, as the picnic site we were asking you to look into, would it ?   Nearby, but not the exact same site, right ?

Also:  Did you see the 1881 P $10 gold I just found this last weekend ?  It's on FMDF now.  

Hello Tom,

Congratulations with the $10 gold piece,  first I heard of this spectacular find.  

This current site is from the next river south of the area you and Anthony discussed with me, it’s a property Denny and I have been hunting pass 11 years. Totally off the charts from yours and Anthony’s,  about one mile south.  That area of yours and Anthony’s, is an area I will not discuss with anyone including local friends. You guys have my trust,  I respect this site as yours and Anthony’s.

As with permission from Anthony,  I’ve made contact with one of the property’s owners,  he is to meet with me soon on his property.  That’s were you and Anthony feel the bulk of the area is located, I’ll keep in touch. I’m going to give this property owner copies of the materials you gave me. Plus a 1892 map copy of his property, this is the only area I have not hunted.  Pretty sure what you and Anthony are searching for is in this area. 

Congratulations again on your 15th gold coin?  It is 15 now right?  Outstanding!

Paul

7 hours ago, Rick Kempf said:

Paul, I was looking for data on US army pay rates in the 1850’s and ran out of time. I did find this however and I think it’s pretty splendid!

https://history.army.mil/html/books/075/75-1/CMH_Pub_75-1.pdf

Hello Rick,

This is great reading material, definitely going to read this weekend.  During my lunch hour this early evening,  skimmed through most of it and found camels used in California.  Our Fort Tejon used camels, plenty of reading material on this subject.  Our State of California is rich with history, we are very fortunate. Especially those who enjoy research,  plenty of historical sites waiting to be found. 

Thank you for sharing, I’ve saved it to my favorites.  I’ll share something not too many local treasure hunters are aware of,  in my area not to far from these recent seated half’s is an 1850 old fort location,  I’ve been searching for it past 10 years. It’s definitely in an area we’re bound to eventually find its location. Within a 1/2 mile radius from this recent town we discovered, the material you posted encourages me to press forward.

Thanks again Rick👍
Paul

HI Paul,

Nice going on the seated halves Paul.  That's odd that those are the only coins you guys have dug there.  Do you think their part of a cache?

BTW as long as you've been in this hobby, I'm curious, have you ever had the pleasure to recover a cache?

HH,
Brian

14 hours ago, Cal_Cobra said:

HI Paul,

Nice going on the seated halves Paul.  That's odd that those are the only coins you guys have dug there.  Do you think their part of a cache?

BTW as long as you've been in this hobby, I'm curious, have you ever had the pleasure to recover a cache?

HH,
Brian

Hello Brian,

I’ve been thinking well hoping they are from a cache,  three from same area.  Area is plowed yearly, good chance part of remaining cache are nearby.  

Never dug a cache,  had several silvers in same hole but those were probably from pocket spillage with someone laying on park grass long ago.

Going to hit this area again this weekend, see if another half surfaces. 

Good to hear from you,  hope all is well over your way.

HH, Paul

• Like 1